Contribute
Register

Fusion Drive problems after working good for months...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Custom Build PC (GA-EX58-UD5
CPU
Intel Core i7
Graphics
Radeon HD 4870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone,

Well, I followed the guide to install OS X on a fusion drive (used an Intel SSD 520 and a Western Digital green drive 2.0TB). All went well, fusion drive was working (did some tests with iostat).

Now, a few months later, the first errors begin to show up. I'm getting a lot of finder -36 error codes (I/O error), iTunes gives me warnings that my drive can't be written to or read from, and so on...

The errors only show up when writing large files (1GB+), smaller files/reading from the Fusion drive works perfectly. So day to day activities aren't affected, it's just getting annoying to have these errors when you're transferring large iso files from drive to drive...

I've got backups, I can reinstall, it's just that I really like my Fusion setup and know it works, just wanna see if anyone else with a Fusion setup has had these problems.

(so now, i'm actually hoping it's a drive failure, so I know there's not something wrong with the Fusion software on Hackintoshes xD)

just wanna see if anyone else with a Fusion setup has had these problems.

I've been running my fusion drive setup now for a couple months and have no problems. I have it set up with a 128 GB Samsung 830 Series SSD and a 1 TB Western Digital Black drive. I love my set up!

I've heard some bad things about the Western Digital green drives on this forum. Not sure if it is a hardware thing or a hackintosh thing. I do know that apple likes to use the Western Digital black drives for their standard HDDs.

Not sure if this really helps but thought i would share my experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back