Contribute
Register

Fresh GA-Z87MX-D3H, 4770K & 10.9 hangs (no KP)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have the Z87-D3HP version, pretty much experiencing the same anomalies. You mentioned a 4GB Kit, I have 16 (4x4GB) in my system as well. Anyway, I noticed quite a few users on other boards having issues occupying all 4 DIMM slots. I haven't tested this myself because I just came across them today, but you could give it a shot. I'm going to try it when I get back home and see if it's the same issue and report back.

Googling on C-states after CCIP's post above I ran across this:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...ies-may-incompatible-intels-haswell-cpus.html

My Corsair HX 650W (bronze) might not be Haswell compatible according to Corsair, so I disabled C6/C7 states in the Bios.

That did not change anything, though.

After that I disabled C-States followed by P-States in org.chameleon.Boot.plist.

Still no solution.

I'll be damned if I give up. :banghead:

/Mikael

I have the Z87-D3HP version, pretty much experiencing the same anomalies. You mentioned a 4GB Kit, I have 16 (4x4GB) in my system as well. Anyway, I noticed quite a few users on other boards having issues occupying all 4 DIMM slots. I haven't tested this myself because I just came across them today, but you could give it a shot. I'm going to try it when I get back home and see if it's the same issue and report back.

Please report back if you find anything!

Cheers,
Mikael

Pulled two modules out, only have one in Slot A and Slot B (didn't realize they are grouped, use to it being setup S1, S3, S2, S4 (S=Slot). I've got facetime open, itunes open, copying files from my backup to my deskop, my browser and a terminal session. Facetime and copying files down would cause it to hang after a short while.

I'll try moving over the modules in both A slots after this stuff is done and gradually add my 3rd module to test for stability, but so far so good.

Current Specs:
Z87-D3HP
8GB (Channel A Dimm 0 & Channel B Dimm 0)
ATI HD 4850 (1GB)
Misc. Peripherals

I'll come back with other any progress or regressions

Cool. Hoping for the best.

I'll give it a shot tomorrow if it turns out well.

But what would be the reason for the modules not to work?

By the way - I've got a Win7 64 bit installation that runs just fine on the same machine.

/Mikael

I wish I knew, I haven't looked in to it much other than finding people experiencing BSOD's with Windows machines. I had Win 7 on the machine myself and I couldn't stress the Memory enough, but loading every address space (at least with MemTest) was taking extremely long because of how much RAM I was testing against and I didn't let it run all the way through to find the fault. It may exist in Windows 7, but I couldn't get it to crash or BSOD for me.

Right now, longest I've had it up and running and just got off a facetime call, while multitasking a video and song edit, that was an hour, so I'd say it's definitely a MB issue.

Still need to test the Channel A DIMM 1 slot to see if I can have at least 12GB for the time being. I may have to upgrade to the 2x8GB modules... :(

I wish I knew, I haven't looked in to it much other than finding people experiencing BSOD's with Windows machines. I had Win 7 on the machine myself and I couldn't stress the Memory enough, but loading every address space (at least with MemTest) was taking extremely long because of how much RAM I was testing against and I didn't let it run all the way through to find the fault. It may exist in Windows 7, but I couldn't get it to crash or BSOD for me.

Right now, longest I've had it up and running and just got off a facetime call, while multitasking a video and song edit, that was an hour, so I'd say it's definitely a MB issue.

Still need to test the Channel A DIMM 1 slot to see if I can have at least 12GB for the time being. I may have to upgrade to the 2x8GB modules... :(

3 hours now with a VM running concurrently and no random freezes. Using the first 3 DIMM slots ( A0, A1, B0 ) 12GB. I'm going to have to write a "loving" letter/complaint to the folks over at Gigabyte.

Good luck man, hope it fixes the same issue I was having, if anything changes from my current situation, I'll report it back.

Edit: I will note that my timings being recognized in the BIOS are off too. They should be reporting 9-9-9-24, but are coming back with 11-11-11-28 without XMP being enabled. With that enabled it boosts up my i5 to 3.8Ghz instead of the default 3.4GHz. Manually editing before when I was testing the original issue made no difference, still couldn't use 4 Modules.

Edit #2: Had a system freeze with 3 modules. I'm skeptical it was a fluke, but I'm trying to re-create it. If it happens again, I'll go back to 2 and/or make some adjustments in my BIOS regarding the memory timings. At least I can get a considerable amount of work done this time around, just have to be more aware of hitting that "save" button :)

Hey Mike,

I have found a lot of GFX issues eliminated when running on my nVidia card with onboard Intel chip DISABLED.
Playing with C-states plays little effect (by disabling C1E, C3, C6/C7 in Bios my board goes to sleep and can wake).
Is there a way you can try external video card?

My memory banks are 8Gbx2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvg5rvdhwxxhnq6/Screenshot 2013-11-07 10.46.30.png

Hey Mike,

I have found a lot of GFX issues eliminated when running on my nVidia card with onboard Intel chip DISABLED.
Playing with C-states plays little effect (by disabling C1E, C3, C6/C7 in Bios my board goes to sleep and can wake).
Is there a way you can try external video card?

My memory banks are 8Gbx2
https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvg5rvdhwxxhnq6/Screenshot 2013-11-07 10.46.30.png

The first build I did with the new hardware was actually using my Radeon HD 6870 (that had been flawless in my old machine), and I had the exact same freezes. That was the first thing I removed though. ;)

So now I'm running on the internal HD 4600. Which is nice and quiet and will most likely meet 99% of my needs.

I'll test the other C-states from BIOS.

Thanks for pitchin' in guys! :thumbup:

/Mikael

No issues when running on just 8GB when using Dimm A0 and B0, which according to my manual is DDR3_4 and DDR3_3.

The quickest way I found to reproduce the error was to re-create a UniBeast Bootable Drive. Other than using just the 8GB configuration, all the others failed and would hang.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back