Contribute
Register

Fix MAC OS X 9.1 and WINDOWS 7 time compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z87X UD3H
CPU
INTEL CORE i5-4670K
Graphics
INTEL HD Graphics 4600
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
The problem arises when saving time in the BIOS. MAC and UNIX save UTC in the BIOS and display time according to the local setting. Mac automatically sets and syncs time on start up. It then displays time according to the chosen time zone offset. Windows however stores local time in the BIOS and sets the time automatically once a week.So when you start Windows after previously running MAC it displays(UTC) time which is 5 hours ahead of Eastern Standard Time. If you sync windows time it will display the correct local time only if you install the registry key realtimeisuniversal=1 and only if youmanually sync after startup. Saving UTC plus the offset in the BIOS. If you choose to have windows show (UTC) as local time than that will solve your problem. Especially if you live in London England. Or all you need to do is sync Windows to local time at startup.

However don't sync it to early because an internet connection only becomesavailable near the end of boot. So go to Control panel>administrativetools>task scheduler>task scheduler library>Microsoft>TimeSynchronization>

Once here you are going to create a new task very similar to the one already present. In the general tab change the name to something like“Start-up Sync Time” and the description to something like 'Set Bill Gates watch to local time by synchronization with a US NationalBureau of Standards clock because Bill hates losing sales in UNIX time." make sure everything is the same except that the author will be your computer username as defined in System Information.

Under the trigger tab make a new trigger that will occur at log on by any user and enable it. Go to the old Microsoft task trigger tab, click properties, to edit it and disable the trigger.

Now go to the actions tab and copy the action from the old Microsoft syncand add a second line 'start a program' %windir%/system32/w32tm.exe/resync

Next is the conditions. Make them turn on Network with any connection and uncheck Idle, AC, and wakeup.

Last is the settings tab. Check everything except the delete tab. Than Set one minute, do it three times, stop after one hour. If your computer is slow booting then setting retry time longer may fix it.

Also I have found that the internet time server sever.nist.gov is a more reliable connection than the windows.time.com Change that by clicking on the clock and date in the right hand corner>change date and time settings>internet time>change settings>server:server.nist.gov.

When your computer firsts boots you will see (UTC) if you had booted previously from a MAC. I auto hide my task bar when checking it near the end of boot the taskbar time changes it to local. Does it auto change when you don't hide the task bar?

10.9.1 or 9.1 classic?

Try the "RealTimeIsUniversal" registry edit:
http://kb.norsetech.net/set-windows-clock-to-utc-time/

I have tried the RealTimeIsUniversal hack as you suggested again. It doesn't not work on my Windows 7 SP1 machine dual booting OS X 9.1 . I also double checked to see if the RealTimeIsUniversal was still saved in the Registry and it is still there. Time update occurs towards the end of boot. If you don't have the taskbar auto hide itself you will see the change take place. If the registry hack was viable then it would show windows with the correct time after a previous MAC system boot since it must read the BIOS time before it can display the time on the taskbar. Using local time on individual machines or small local networks may have been seen as making sense forty years ago. Does it make sense for a traveler using a laptop on a plane who doesnt cahange his local time till arrival at his destination or collaberators three time zones away?

I've tried the RealTimeIsUniversal regedit and it works on another win7 machine (BIOS has UTC | windows displays EST) but not on this one. Note that searching around the internet reveals that RealTimeIsUniversal does not always work. If their were no problems with RTIU why did Microsoft remove it? They could have left it as set to zero.

Another Method is to create a batch file and drop it into the Windows Startup folder which will update the Windows BIOS to the correct local time. See Insanely Mac OSx86Wiki for this option.

I used the task scheduler method which I found first rather than the Batch file method because I knew that I needed an internet connection first and I wasn't sure what program to run within the batch file. I don't believe the task scheduler method creates a problem because it runs and indicates the last time run as successful. The last time run is equal to BIOS time just before running so if it was run with UTC in BIOS it will appear to have run at UTC rather than EST. Once finished EST is displayed and EST is in the BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back