Contribute
Register

First Time Build. Feeling a bit like Penny on BigBangTheory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coupz said:
I have 2 SSDs in RAID-0 and my projects folder (all PSDs from my clients and webdesigns) is more then 80GB.
I am the person, who don't wants to have his SSD almost 90% full. That's why I buy more at beginning and don't have this issue.

And if you have pretty big PSD files (more then 1GB), then you'll love to have a bigger SSD which loads this file almost instant, with a seperate HDD for your project files (seperate HDD is always recommended), you still have to wait.

I don't think that a 250 or 256GB SSD is a waste of money.

You must have missed this part.

Vendetta said:
It's not that a large SSD is inherently a bad decision. It's that his overall system could be better without costing more if he drops that SSD to something smaller. Now, if he just has the money to blow, then that's a different story altogether.

I reiterate, a large SSD isn't necessarily a waste of money for some people. However, my point for downgrading the SSD was at the benefit of the rest of the system (most notably RAM). If the rest of the components are set and solid, and you have the money to spend for a 256GB, I'm all for it.

Thanks all for your tips.

First off, Penny is the GIRL on Big Bang Theory.

The reason I went with 256gb SSD is 1. because my husband thought I needed it. and 2. I run very large RAW image files.

Money wise, I feel like I've already saved a small fortune by not going to the Apple store, yet again, so I will bump it up to 16gb next time I'm near the store I shopped at.

However, I installed everything today, and I'm getting a blue screen that is not the BIOS. It's asking me to insert a CD/DVD. Any help in how to get to BIOS?

Thanks much again!!

slp31 said:

The reason I went with 256gb SSD is 1. because my husband thought I needed it. and 2. I run very large RAW image files.

Money wise, I feel like I've already saved a small fortune by not going to the Apple store, yet again, so I will bump it up to 16gb next time I'm near the store I shopped at.

However, I installed everything today, and I'm getting a blue screen that is not the BIOS. It's asking me to insert a CD/DVD. Any help in how to get to BIOS?

Thanks much again!!

Usually, you just hit the delete key during the POST process.

ok, got to the bios screen, chose USB, now which do I choose on the chimera screen? It gives me the options of boot, boot verbosa, boot ignore caches, boot single user?

slp31 said:

Thanks much again!!

I apologize. That's the second time I've made that mistake. :oops:

I don't watch BBT regularly, but I've seen a few episodes and would like to watch some more of it.

You should be able to get to BIOS by hitting the delete key. You need to start hitting the key pretty quickly after you turn the system on, and just keep pressing it repeatedly until you reach BIOS.

Vendetta said:
slp31 said:

Thanks much again!!

I don't watch BBT regularly, but I've seen a few episodes and would like to watch some more of it.

You should be able to get to BIOS by hitting the delete key. You need to start hitting the key pretty quickly after you turn the system on, and just keep pressing it repeatedly until you reach BIOS.

I think I read that post you're talking about Vendetta, but that one was a bit worse since she had her picture as her icon. :oops: :lol:

@slp31,

Choose Boot.

pwalth21 said:
I think I read that post you're talking about Vendetta, but that one was a bit worse since she had her picture as her icon. :oops: :lol:

Hah! Actually, it's misleading because when I had made that comment, she had just a general user icon. It wasn't until later on that she updated her avatar and added the picture.

Vendetta said:

It's a funny show, but she really is the girl fish out of water, and I feel much the same.

I finally got lion to boot and did the multibeast thing with my DSDT for my mobo, and I think I'm having trouble with the graphics card. I get a black screen. Then I tried -x -v GraphicsEnabler=NO and I got a kernel panic page? A black page with a bunch of white text and then the mac version of the BSOD showed up and told me to restart. So I tried -x -v GraphicsEnabler=NO PCIRootUTI=1 and that did the same thing. I also tried -x -v GraphicsEnabler=NO PCIRootUTI=1 'something'=0x2000. (Jay_Phoenix was in the chatroom helping me along) and that results in the same kernel panic.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My brain is fried and I have 3 children to get to school in the morning. :)

That 6670 card is not passable. Issues with that card here on the forum.

Are you looking to play games on this machine or would a 512MB gfx card service your needs?

The usual 8400GS, 9500GT, GT240 are deactivated unless you pick up a used one on eBay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back