EVGA GeForce GTX 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,
I just wanted to check all the parts on my first build.

i want to use to computer for 3d modeling and rendering, architecture design etc.

CPU

Intel Core i7-3770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor $289.98

CPU Cooler

Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler

Motherboard
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
or
GIGABYTE G1.Sniper M3 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory

G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory

Storage

Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk

Seagate Momentus XT 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card

Sound Card

Case
Corsair 600T White Graphite ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
Corsair Professional 750W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

Optical Drive
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer

thanks again

I would have thought that for your use 8 GB of RAM would be a very base configuration. Consider starting with 16 GB instead.

The i7-3770 CPU is a fine choice, and cheaper than the 3770K.

The NH-D14 cooler may be seen by some as overkill: the stock cooler that comes with the i7 should be enough. However, the D14 should be quieter, and if you're going to operating in warm conditions (ambient temps got over 40C here last week) then there's no problem with over-engineering the cooling.

The 128 GB m4 SSD is a decent choice, but I wouldn't use a Momentus XT 2.5" drive. These hybrid drives are supposed to be a marriage of SSD and HDD, but for the price I think you'd get better performance out of something like a 3.5" Barracuda.12 2 TB or 3 TB (especially if you partition it and only use the first half of the disk). I just benchmarked one of the 3 TB units and while the performance starts out over 180 MB/s (!) at the front of the disk and drops to around 90 MB/s by the end, at the half-way mark (1.5 TB) performance was still around 150 MB/s. I/O ps is another issue, but restricting I/O to the front of the disk helps with that a lot. I suspect the 2 TB Barracuda may be cheaper and faster than the 500 GB XT, and in that chassis you should have no problem with mounting a 3.5" drive.

I would also have a drive/partition where you can clone the boot SSD to for when (not if) something hiccups during an upgrade/install and you can't boot the software on the SSD again. Any old 2.5" drive of at least 128 GB would be fine for this, or you could even put the ~130 GB partition on the 2/3 TB drive (just be sure to put it within the first 1 TB of any drive or the boot blocks won't be able to access it).

Without being familiar with that motherboard or with the software you're planning to use, everything else on your list looks fine to me.

Thanks for your response,,
i will change the drives and reconsider the fan,

as for software, i want to use CS6, Rhino, AutoCad, SketchUp, VRay, and i will be learning more 3d modeling and rendering programs next semester in class.

i gotta say im pretty unsure about the motherboard, which one i should get i mean.

thanks again!

Welcome to Hackintoshing!

Actually, If you live in the US, or have a relative or friend who does, the 3770k is $229 at Microcenter (in store pickup only though).

Yeah, as DBP stated, you really should go with 16gb of RAM.

For the motherboard, the ASRock will require a modified and flashed bios. Its do-able, just not out-of-the-box.
The GA-Z77X-UD5H is your best bet

Good luck!

thank you!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back