CPU
i7-6700k LGA 1151
Graphics
Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti 11 Gig
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Does anyone know any progress on getting the HiDPi resolutions to work on our 1080p screens. I installed the Quartz debug tool to enable the hidpi mode but the resolution was too big. i think the highest was like 940 or so. Anyways to get the res a little higher? the fonts are a little to small when you run at optimal res, especially in emails and MS word

Does anyone know any progress on getting the HiDPi resolutions to work on our 1080p screens. I installed the Quartz debug tool to enable the hidpi mode but the resolution was too big. i think the highest was like 940 or so. Anyways to get the res a little higher? the fonts are a little to small when you run at optimal res, especially in emails and MS word

HiDPI works by using 2x (at least) pixels in each direction instead of the normal 1x. This halves your "effective" display resolution in each direction. So 1920 x 1080 becomes 960 x 540. This is why Apple's "retina" displays are generally double the non-retina model.

So, to take advantage of this resolution you really need a display with double your normal resolution. So, let's say you thought 1600 x 900 was "about right" as far as information density for a 15" display, you'd need a display with double that, or 3200 x 1800.

Windows uses a slightly more flexible technique where an arbitrary scaling factor can be applied to UI elements. But, of course, it is very difficult for developers to test all possibilities and so it is almost always the case that it exposes bugs in those applications. That, and application developers are generally lazy and pretty much don't test for high resolution displays with a scaling factor enabled... not even the common ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back