EVGA GTX670
Mac
  1. MacBook
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I used to love Newegg, then I moved to the Caribbean.

I never heard of Microcenter until I moved back to the states.

I am finding that Microcenter is almost always better priced on mobo and processors, and often equally priced on many other components.

When it comes to peripherals I am not so pleased, they gouge you (not as bad as Best Buy, but still.)

Finally and for the kill, Microcenter is local.
Special mention goes to Newegg for extremely good shipping and no tax.

I'm sure that Microcenter has stolen thousands of dollars from my newegg purchases in just the last year.

So, Newegg or Microcenter?

microcenter is almost always better for motherboards/cpu. everything else I go to newegg because I save on tax and generally get free shipping. I only go to microcenter for other purchases if its an urgent need or if pricing after tax is too close to care for.

either way both companies are awesome. throw tigerdirect into the mix and i would say i hate that company with a passion :)

This cuts both ways. We don't have Microcenter here so either Amazon or NewEgg gets my business.

I'd like to put a vote for Amazon Prime with their free shipping and easy, no-hassle, automated product returns.
Newegg, next day shipping for me (looks like they have a distribution center where I live).

This cuts both ways. We don't have Microcenter here so either Amazon or NewEgg gets my business.

I'd like to put a vote for Amazon Prime with their free shipping and easy, no-hassle, automated product returns.
Newegg, next day shipping for me (looks like they have a distribution center where I live).

Yeah that is true, Microcenter is not in all that many places.
Its awesome though, like having Newegg in your backyard.
And, in another way it is not awesome because I buy way too much stuff there.

The other poster was right though, microcenter just about always beats newegg on CPU's and mobo - and by a lot too, like $50 or more during the sales.

Not necessarily ;P

I have both a Microcenter and the will-call warehouse for newegg within a 30min drive, so I usually mix and match from the two places. I bought my CPU from microcenter (was $70 cheaper than newegg opening day) and the rest from newegg.

No Microcenter nearby, so Newegg. But if I need it now, Pcdirect.

Awesome!

I see that amazon is entering the fray.
They are going to drive prices down I'm sure. That is going to open a can of worms for newegg.

Microcenter is online too, Koala, but yeah their shipping prices might negate their value.
Everyone should check Microcenter for CPU/MOBO though as they SLAY the competition on those two components. Also, microcenter has their own branded products...

For example,
Microcenter 32GB USB 3.0 for 19.00, that's pretty darn good. It is made by ADATA.

I always buy from the cheapest place, regardless of which one that is. So for me, Miceo Center and Newegg are tied. Amzon factors in there, too. In fact, the build I'm currently working on breaks down like this:

Micro Center:
processor

Newegg:
motherboard
SSD
RAM
CPU cooler

Amazon:
case
PSU

I can't vote for any one store as a winner because any given store may have the best price at any given moment.

I always buy from the cheapest place, regardless of which one that is. So for me, Miceo Center and Newegg are tied. Amzon factors in there, too. In fact, the build I'm currently working on breaks down like this:

Micro Center:
processor

Newegg:
motherboard
SSD
RAM
CPU cooler

Amazon:
case
PSU

I can't vote for any one store as a winner because any given store may have the best price at any given moment.

+1

What about COMPUSA? I Know it's run by TigerDirect, but have any of you been in their stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back