Contribute
Register

Exclusive: Intel planning separate Thunderbolt certification for Windows 8 devices

Status
Not open for further replies.
uhg. i guess i shouldnt have paid the extra cost for the UP5 TH a couple days ago and went with the UD5H. I was trying to future proof my motherboard but i guess not. so does this really affect me if i dont plan on booting windows? or are you saying that if windows doesnt play well then, in general there will be less of a push for the world to make more TH peripherals?

Article: Exclusive: Intel planning separate Thunderbolt certification for Windows 8 devices

I guess you'll like this then ;)
http://www.usb.org/developers/powerdelivery/
Up to 100W over USB

that's pretty cool. the niexus WQHD IPS display you guys posted the other day (for example) is 72 watts according to Comp U. http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage.php3?id=1218348

but it "only" sports Dual Link DVI-D, Display Port 1.2, HDMI 1.4, and VGA 15-pin as inputs. didn't get the USB memo i suppose ^_^

the thing that potentially changed the computer form factor and functionality crippled by proprietary licences. the ugly thing is that the licensing mess could appear
right after the peripherals finally started moving.

Could be that Apple has a deal with Intel, otherwise the mess will be even bigger.

That sort of mismanagement of the Thunderbolt brand on Intel's part will surely chill adoption and turn it from next-big-ting to also-ran.

That being said, consider the following:

What I get by reading this is that our existing motherboards and expansion cards with ports will be fine, but the devices out now and in the near future will not work with Windows 8 (which is already sounding like a bag of hurt for a variety of other reasons) or if we're foolish enough to voluntarily apply the firmware update.

So even if Intel makes the sky fall, TB will be useable if you invest in devices after the fact. In fact, in Windows 8 doesn't take (and if the Mistake Edition pattern holds, it'll be a flop), then the re-certification might end up much ado about nothing, as everybody will still be using the apparently legacy-friendly Win 7, and that same everybody pays little attention to obscure firmware updates.

Article: Exclusive: Intel planning separate Thunderbolt certification for Windows 8 devices

uhg. i guess i shouldnt have paid the extra cost for the UP5 TH a couple days ago and went with the UD5H. I was trying to future proof my motherboard but i guess not. so does this really affect me if i dont plan on booting windows? or are you saying that if windows doesnt play well then, in general there will be less of a push for the world to make more TH peripherals?

This hasn't happened yet and any current Thunderbolt device will work with your system and should continue to do so as far as I understand it, as long as you're not planning on installing Windows 8 and want to use the device with the new OS. We'll see how it all plays out in the end, there's still time for Intel to change its mind...

That sort of mismanagement of the Thunderbolt brand on Intel's part will surely chill adoption and turn it from next-big-ting to also-ran.

That being said, consider the following:

What I get by reading this is that our existing motherboards and expansion cards with ports will be fine, but the devices out now and in the near future will not work with Windows 8 (which is already sounding like a bag of hurt for a variety of other reasons) or if we're foolish enough to voluntarily apply the firmware update.

So even if Intel makes the sky fall, TB will be useable if you invest in devices after the fact. In fact, in Windows 8 doesn't take (and if the Mistake Edition pattern holds, it'll be a flop), then the re-certification might end up much ado about nothing, as everybody will still be using the apparently legacy-friendly Win 7, and that same everybody pays little attention to obscure firmware updates.

Got it in one. That's pretty much it, no-one can force you to upgrade your UEFI and as long as you don't upgrade to the "wrong" version, technically all hack's should be fine. Windows 7 is a different case, as TB support is only so-so for the OS and Intel is being stubborn and doesn't want to release a drive as mentioned in the news article and as such, well, it's all there...
I'm not sure how the UEFI/TB update on the motherboard side would affect other OSes beyond Windows 8 and this is something we won't know until it happens, if it happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back