Contribute
Register

EVGA Classified Super Record 2 (SR-2) with 2 x Xeon X5680

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great build. I was going to do similar get that board too (for a hexacore). Lack of any info stopped me, to bad since it looks like it worked out well in the end! Dang! Still incredibly tempting...

How many times did people say to buy a mac pro instead? I got that all the time while researching... People just don't understand a hack is 1) more fun and 2) still cheaper for better equipment!

philz said:
Great build. I was going to do similar get that board too (for a hexacore). Lack of any info stopped me, to bad since it looks like it worked out well in the end! Dang! Still incredibly tempting...

How many times did people say to buy a mac pro instead? I got that all the time while researching... People just don't understand a hack is 1) more fun and 2) still cheaper for better equipment!

Thanks Philz! Actually if no overclock is intended, Asus Z8PE-D12 is a better board, don't have to disable one CPU to install. Just need to purchase a Mio card and a networkcard, D18 can do also but limited expansion slot, so cannot add a raid card.

This is great news. I hope there are more posts about experience with dual CPU hackintosh. I hope we get to a 100% working dual cpu with DSDT and appropriate hardware.
Congratulations indeed.

Maybe one of you guys can help me. I too, am trying to build with an SR-2 board, but am having trouble. I have disabled CPU1, and am using an Apple 5870 card for video, but cannot get to the OSX install screen

I boot with iBoot, use the PCIRootUID=1 line, and then try booting from my SL retail disc. Basically, I get the white Apple screen, and the little spinning graphic. This just goes on endlessly; it is like its stuck on something.

Any thoughts? My memory banks have 3 sticks of 4GB each; so 12GB per bank. I do have other cards installed --- a D-Link WLAN card, a USB 3.0 card, and a Highpoint SATA controller card with a spare drive attached.

Thanks in advance for any info/help..

try removing some ram, for a total of 4gb.

remove all unnecessary pci cards

also use -v and see where it is hanging

ok. I removed all cards except for my video card. Using the -v option, this is the last line to display:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start-waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out

gpick42 said:
ok. I removed all cards except for my video card. Using the -v option, this is the last line to display:

ACPI_SMC_PlatformPlugin::start-waitForService(resourceMatching(AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement) timed out
What kexts are you running? Try booting into safe mode (-x in Chameleon, not sure otherwise) and see if you get any further messages.

gpick42 said:

I have no experience with 5870, but on 6870 or GTX460, need to use PCIRootUID=1.

Hey guys, working on an SR-2 build here too and having luck... slowly ;).

Thanks very much Jps and Kingkong for your tips. So far I've done:

1. Disabled CPU1, removed all RAM except for 2 GB in CPU0 (it's in the red slot by itself). Unplugged all drives except my 3 DVD burners and the single Intel SSD for OS disk (and the WD drive for TM backup).
2. Running my Win7 x64 perfectly fine first off... downloaded the iBoot Legacy ISO and burned that. Regular iBoot does not work it seems. Bought a retail Snow Leopard DVD 10.6.3. Also downloaded Multibeast and the 10.6.8 Combo Update dmg file from Apple.
3. Set drives in BIOS to AHCI
4. Went under Power Options > General (I think), and set HPET to Enable (helped me bypass more panics).
5. Using PCIRootUID=1 (or PCIRootUID=1 -v) specifically (EVGA GTX 580SC) is helping me to at least (most of the time) get the DVD to boot to the installation screen where I can configure everything fine / install fine.
6. Reboot, boot with iBoot and same flag, then it lets me get to the 10.6.3 desktop.

Now the trick to this seems to be that you're stopping at 10.6.7. I have tried numerous patches, flags, updates, and everything but simply can not get past the 2nd desktop boot. If I install 10.6.8 (which installs without a single panic or issue), it won't let me reboot (-v says it hangs at the dreaded PCI Configuration Begin I can't find any way yet to bypass that). If I stay at 10.6.3 and try using Multibeast to do the "Easy" mode to reboot from the SSD (not iBoot), it hangs at the apple gray screen without a spinning progress wheel and has thrown halts with AppleRTCor com.Apple at me. Of course, I can't edit my kexts if I can't load OSX right?

Totally new to kexts so is there something I should be doing after installing any part of the fixes in Multibeast? If I try to repair permissions, it fails. Should I patch with easy mode but then delete / edit / move a kext before I try rebooting?

I've made a Time Machine cloned drive up to the point of reaching the desktop after the welcoming video so it saves me a little time to restore. Doing this for 2 days straight and just stuck. :banghead: Having to do a fresh install 5 times gets annoying and it seems that any change so far has made it crash hard.

The-Real-Link said:
Hey guys, working on an SR-2 build here too and having luck... slowly ;).

Thanks very much Jps and Kingkong for your tips. So far I've done:

1. Disabled CPU1, removed all RAM except for 2 GB in CPU0 (it's in the red slot by itself). Unplugged all drives except my 3 DVD burners and the single Intel SSD for OS disk (and the WD drive for TM backup).
2. Running my Win7 x64 perfectly fine first off... downloaded the iBoot Legacy ISO and burned that. Regular iBoot does not work it seems. Bought a retail Snow Leopard DVD 10.6.3. Also downloaded Multibeast and the 10.6.8 Combo Update dmg file from Apple.
3. Set drives in BIOS to AHCI
4. Went under Power Options > General (I think), and set HPET to Enable (helped me bypass more panics).
5. Using PCIRootUID=1 (or PCIRootUID=1 -v) specifically (EVGA GTX 580SC) is helping me to at least (most of the time) get the DVD to boot to the installation screen where I can configure everything fine / install fine.
6. Reboot, boot with iBoot and same flag, then it lets me get to the 10.6.3 desktop.

Now the trick to this seems to be that you're stopping at 10.6.7. I have tried numerous patches, flags, updates, and everything but simply can not get past the 2nd desktop boot. If I install 10.6.8 (which installs without a single panic or issue), it won't let me reboot (-v says it hangs at the dreaded PCI Configuration Begin I can't find any way yet to bypass that). If I stay at 10.6.3 and try using Multibeast to do the "Easy" mode to reboot from the SSD (not iBoot), it hangs at the apple gray screen without a spinning progress wheel and has thrown halts with AppleRTCor com.Apple at me. Of course, I can't edit my kexts if I can't load OSX right?

Totally new to kexts so is there something I should be doing after installing any part of the fixes in Multibeast? If I try to repair permissions, it fails. Should I patch with easy mode but then delete / edit / move a kext before I try rebooting?

I've made a Time Machine cloned drive up to the point of reaching the desktop after the welcoming video so it saves me a little time to restore. Doing this for 2 days straight and just stuck. :banghead: Having to do a fresh install 5 times gets annoying and it seems that any change so far has made it crash hard.

Today Multibeast 3.8 was released, including a kext to those who are having issues with the PCI error after installing 10.6.8 (IOPCIFamily Fix). Worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back