1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
[SOLVED] eSata-Port GA-Z77X-UDH5

Hello

I connected my Western Digital myBook (setup in raid mode) ot the eSata of the mainboard. But in Mac OS X ML it is not mounted. As well, myBook does not start when booting the computer (whilist, myBook starts when connected via USB).

How can I "activate" the eSata port and/or what do I need to do in either the BIOS and/or in multibeast?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Kind regards
Chris

eSATA is working good on my UD5H. I did install 3rd party eSATA driver from Multibeast and am running 10.8.2.

On my old mainboard an OSX 10.8.0 I had to unplug and plug in again the eSATA cable to let it beeing recognized by the OS.

Hello

I connected my Western Digital myBook (setup in raid mode) ot the eSata of the mainboard. But in Mac OS X ML it is not mounted. As well, myBook does not start when booting the computer (whilist, myBook starts when connected via USB).

How can I "activate" the eSata port and/or what do I need to do in either the BIOS and/or in multibeast?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Kind regards
Chris

Did OSX ever read that drive set-up?

Did OSX ever read that drive set-up?

yes, when connected to a mac mini over fw800, the drive works perfectly. what are you thinking of when writing this question?

Making sure the Marvell controllers show up in System Information is a good start. You'll need to have installed the 3rd Party eSATA option via MultiBeast, as Dschijn mentioned. However, note that then any devices connected to the Marvell ports (the eSATA port and the "GSATA" ports on the motherboard) will be marked as "external", ejectable drives. Perfect for if you have these ports going to more eSATA port brackets on the back of the case, or to an internal hot-swap bay, but it could be annoying if you accidentally ejected in Finder a drive you couldn't easily unplug/replug. I don't think you can mark specific Marvell ports in the BIOS as internal/external.

On my UP5 board (which has one Marvell controller, with one eSATA and one GSATA) I've got the GSATA port going to the outside so it suits me fine.

It's also worth checking the Western Digital support site if you have any more issues. Two of the MyBook drives on my system have eSATA. One model (one of the Studios) kept going offline at random times. Turns out WD just say that this model is not compatible with Marvell eSATA controllers. Luckily I was able to just move it to a different eSATA port on the machine (I also have ASM1061 eSATA controllers in PCIe slots).
The other MyBook has no such description at the WD Support site, but after a while it started showing similar problems. However, in that case updating the drive's firmware to the latest version (via an OS X program from WD which just needed the drive to be temporarily connected via USB2) fixed that. The MyBook Studio was already running its latest version.

eSATA is supposed to just be plug-n-play, but the world is never quite that easy...

I have a UD5H and I have a couple RAID 1 drives that have eSATA on them. One drive mounts and unmounts as expected. The other drive does not show up at all. I can only assume it is a situation where the chipset in the drive does not have something that the driver is looking for.

By the way, I did not install the kext as noted above (I will probably try it at some point). So some drives will work and some drives won't work. Now, with the kext mentioned above, you may have no problems whatsoever.

yes, when connected to a mac mini over fw800, the drive works perfectly. what are you thinking of when writing this question?

Some eSATA ports have what is called port multiplication. Some, do not. I wanted to make sure that OSX was reading those two drives as one unit before. If the drive was never set up as a RAID then OSX in your new build wouldn't read it as a RAID and hence only see one drive or none at all.

eSata-Port GA-Z77X-UDH5: SOLVED

hi there

thanx to all of you for your answers.

Installing the eSata-Driver made the myBook to show up in the finder.

Cheers, Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back