Register

Enable GeForce GTS 450

Status
Not open for further replies.
zm15 said:
MacMan said:
luisfdoc1 said:
Thanks MacMan,
I am really new at this OSX86... but is there a way that you can estimate (guess) how long it takes for OS X to support new Cards? , in case you have experienced similar problems in the past...
I really need to update my Card, and I am stuck because of this...
Thanks
All you can do is guess when OS X supports new hardware. Typically, it requires Apple to ship new hard using it (in the case of ATI HD 5xxx cards). But NVIDIA support is typically better even when Apple doesn't official support it.

As for the GTS 450 support, it is unknown if or when it will ever happen.

Is this an apple support thing? Or something from the tonymac community support driver thing?
Graphics card support is always dependent on Apple first and then the community to add support for variants that Apple doesn't support.

Thanks Mac Man, i'm rather new to all this stuff, and am curious..

Have you seen a graphics card not supported before?

I found a great deal on the GTS 450, but am hesitant if it won't be supported. I know the past is a precursor to the future, so I'm curious if an experienced hackintosh-er like yourself has seen something not supported or just doesn't work on a such a main line product in the past.

zm15 said:
Thanks Mac Man, i'm rather new to all this stuff, and am curious..

Have you seen a graphics card not supported before?

I found a great deal on the GTS 450, but am hesitant if it won't be supported. I know the past is a precursor to the future, so I'm curious if an experienced hackintosh-er like yourself has seen something not supported or just doesn't work on a such a main line product in the past.
There are many that are not supported and some can be supported with work.

Fo example I have a HD 4850 that will just not work, it has earned the name the ATI From Hell. Tonymacx86 has a 4830 that will also not work, AKA ATI From Hell 2. I have an evga 210 card that is a PITA to get working with QE/CI. Then there is the NVIDIA 460 that I have that I haven't even tried yet. The previous owner had no luck getting it working in OS X so he gave it to me to try my luck.

The there was the ATI 5xxx cards, initially there was no support until Apple released the new Mac Pros. But the time between their release and Mac support can be long. For example, ATI released the 5770 October 13, 2009 and Apple supported it in the Mac Pro in late July 2010. Ouch.

Thanks MacMan for the brief history of OSX86 video cards. I gave up waiting on the 400 series, and I got an EVGA GTX 260 Core216. I hope that one works...

actually it works very well with osx86 ,on this site's blog there is a nvidia driver package you can download
cheers

Can you please tell me how to make it work with the NVDIA update?
I can't find any info on it.

I have the same card GTS450.

Thank you!

Funny, I used to have a 8800GT that work perfectly, until it died (in a weird way). Anyway, I got myself a GTS 450 (because it the best one in GTS category) and surprise : it wouldn't work at all :p

Today I reinstalled OSX on my PC using only the most basic driver for my video card, and it works, with some bugs. Can the nVidia drivers be derived from the one that run on other BSDs ? Or even from linux (like nouveau) ?

Cheers

i got gts 450 running good and finally does show up in the system profiler. so far no freeze from 2-3hrs:) i get 1080p support only when connected via vga. but i need it on hdmi(currently 1024x768) leaving the screen in a black rectangular box. guess the problem is in the bootloader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back