Contribute
Register

El Capitan Beta with Dell XPS 13 9343 (Early 2015 Model)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops. Result after applying above, is exactly the same with "Still waiting for root device".

It is a USB problem. When booting from USB "root" is mounted from USB stick with the OS X installer on it.

You get "Still waiting for root device" if the device that contains the root partition doesn't show up.

Sounds like you're getting further though (hard to know due to lack of photo)... so run back through the suggestions.

I will try next to use the USB stick that currently can load the Yosemite installer (overwriting it). Last possible thing I can think of. Since it's a known usable stick, maybe that's been the issue? Multiple others incompatible?

It is a USB problem. When booting from USB "root" is mounted from USB stick with the OS X installer on it.

You get "Still waiting for root device" if the device that contains the root partition doesn't show up.

Sounds like you're getting further though (hard to know due to lack of photo)... so run back through the suggestions.

Okay thanks. I've tried your suggestions, but I'm unclear how to use/enable your OsxAptioFix2 suggestion (only suggestion remaining that I haven't tried).

Okay thanks. I've tried your suggestions,

I don't think enough time elapsed to try all the combinations, much less creating a new USB stick.

but I'm unclear how to use/enable your OsxAptioFix2 suggestion (only suggestion remaining that I haven't tried).

It is unlikely to help, but OsxAptioFix2 is available from the Clover installer.

I don't think enough time elapsed to try all the combinations, much less creating a new USB stick.

It is unlikely to help, but OsxAptioFix2 is available from the Clover installer.

Okay on the OsxAptioFix2.

I have tried all of the combinations, fast fingers and short boot attempts since it fails. Yes, next option is to create the El Cap b1 installer on the known to work with Yosemite stick. Will report back once that's done (as always, following your guide).

Okay on the OsxAptioFix2.

I have tried all of the combinations, fast fingers and short boot attempts since it fails. Yes, next option is to create the El Cap b1 installer on the known to work with Yosemite stick. Will report back once that's done (as always, following your guide).

Just a word of advice... sometimes, slower fingers and more double-checking of your work is a good idea.

By combinations, for example with just FixOwnership, FakePCIID_XCHIMux, USB2 vs. USB3 stick there are 8 (2^3) combinations. Multiplied by the number of USB ports on your computer.

Just a word of advice... sometimes, slower fingers and more double-checking of your work is a good idea.

By combinations, for example with just FixOwnership, FakePCIID_XCHIMux, USB2 vs. USB3 stick there are 8 (2^3) combinations. Multiplied by the number of USB ports on your computer.

Advice positively taken. Assured, each step has been exhausted, including the Clover install of OsxAptioFix2 on current stick.

Off to recreate with the known to boot Yosemite installer stick...

Off to recreate with the known to boot Yosemite installer stick...[/COLOR]

You might want to verify that stick still works, just to be certain there isn't some BIOS settings difference from when you last used it.

If it is not too late...

You might want to verify that stick still works, just to be certain there isn't some BIOS settings difference from when you last used it.

If it is not too late...

We are on the same page. With the BIOS as is, the stick did boot to the Yosemite installer, tried just before erasing it. Thanks for the thought though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back