Contribute
Register

El Capitan 10.11.6 ... is it safe to upgrade? ANSWER: Yes, but you may need to re-install video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you, I had to install it as well, my old web-drivers wouldn't work.
Question: Where is the landing page to link to those drivers from nvidia's site? I cannot seem to find the most recent drivers. (the one you linked)
I find this link from MacVidCards website ,
http://www.macvidcards.com/drivers.html
How they got that ? I don't know ...

Updated to 10.11.6 yesterday. Results as follows:

1) Lost the "Memory" setting from Clover Configurator set up in 10.11.5. Computer "thought" I had only 8 GB (Two 4 GB sticks). Mounted EFI partition, opened confg.plist, and used Clover Configurator to re-apply the correct "Memory" additions. That worked; computer now sees 16 GB.
2) Also occurs in 10.11.5: Cannot activate the nVidia graphics driver (346.03.15f01). Have deleted "nv_disable=1" checkmark in Clover Configurator, have added "nvda_drv=1" check. No help. Whenever the nVidia driver is chosen in "nVidia Driver Preferences" the "Restart" button immediately dims. If computer is restarted from the Apple menu, computer always starts with the OS X default driver.

Not that I'm complaining too much... using the default driver I am seeing 50.8 frames per second in Full Screen, High Quality, 2xAA setup modes in "Heaven" on the new MSI nVidia GeForce GTX 750 TI (low profile) graphics card. Not bad for my little shoebox Mini-ITX Skylake computer. But I would like to try the nVidia driver just to see...

Any comments? Thanks for reading!

10.11.6 update:

With a MAC ID of 15,1, I had to switch to ID 14,2 to get video to work correctly. I uninstalled the webdrivers, installed .15b01 and after it came I updated to f01.

Clover Configurator 4.31.0
Clover_v2.3k_r3642

Last edited:
Updated to 10.11.6 yesterday. Results as follows:

2) Also occurs in 10.11.5: Cannot activate the nVidia graphics driver (346.03.15f01). Have deleted "nv_disable=1" checkmark in Clover Configurator, have added "nvda_drv=1" check. No help. Whenever the nVidia driver is chosen in "nVidia Driver Preferences" the "Restart" button immediately dims. If computer is restarted from the Apple menu, computer always starts with the OS X default driver.

I cannot comment on the memory, but I had to use MacPro 3,1. I didn't lose any memory (maxed at 64Gig). As for the drivers, I have dual 980Ti cards and after the upgrade I had to bump them to the beta drivers linked on the first page of this thread (although non-beta drivers were just released).

So the below I ripped from a previous post of mine for something I had to do.... it all started working when I added `kext-dev-mode=1` maybe try that?

1. Download EFI Mounter v3
  2. Run it and select your main drive and click Mount.
  3. Open the mounted drive in Finder
  4. In a text editor open /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist
  5. Find `<key>Arguments</key>`
  6. Just under that there is a `<string> ... </string>` tag.
  7. Add ` kext-dev-mode=1 nvda_drv=1` to the end of that string (yes, separated by spaces)
  8. Reboot.
  9. Win.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back