Contribute
Register

[El Capitan 10.11.6] Best USB Wi-Fi adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
I've recently installed El Capitan on my HP Envy 15-j103el, but it has Ralink RT3290 Wireless/Bluetooth PCIe card, that seems to me to be irretrievably incompatible with OS X. Right?
So I would like to avoid replacing the built-in adapter and I'm thinking about the possibility to use an USB device instead. Is it a bad idea?
What are the best solutions, taking account of full compatibility, actual speed (not theoretical), price/quality ratio?
Is it possible to use such a device without third-party software, I mean controlling directly by OS X network settings?
Thank you all in advance!

UPDATE: #5

Last edited:
Hi!
I've recently installed El Capitan on my HP Envy 15-j103el, but it has Ralink RT3290 Wireless/Bluetooth PCIe card, that seems to me to be irretrievably incompatible with OS X. Right?
So I would like to avoid replacing the built-in adapter and I'm thinking about the possibility to use an USB device instead. Is it a bad idea?
What are the best solutions, taking account of full compatibility, actual speed (not theoretical), price/quality ratio?
Is it possible to use such a device without third-party software, I mean controlling directly by OS X network settings?
Thank you all in advance!

USB WiFi not recommended. Install the recommended BCM94352HMB instead.

USB WiFi not recommended. Install the recommended BCM94352HMB instead.
Ok, not recommended, but possible of course: I've read lots of users using it successfully, but there're only old threads that talks about prehistorical hardware, maybe not even updated nowadays. So I was simply asking what is the current situation!
I know that is not the best solution, but I don't want to open my laptop and manage hardware components, I'm not sure I can do it, so I was searching for an USB adapter.
Besides I think that there are loads of n00bs like me out there that really would like a solution like this.

Last edited:
So I was simply asking what is the current situation!

The current situation is this:
- USB WiFi is problematic and not recommended
- If you can use supported PCIe WiFi (your situation), you're being a fool (and wasting time) to try USB WiFi
- If you really want to try USB WiFi, search for hardware that has up-to-date OS X drivers

I'm testing D-Link DWA-131 rev E1 with these drivers and it's working amazingly with OS X last release (El Capitan 10.11.6).

Attachments

• DLink_MacOS10.6_MacOS10.11_Driver_1830.2.b9_1827.4.b19_DropDownMenu_5.0.1.b3_Rev1.zip
    10.3 MB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back