Contribute
Register

eelhead's G5 X58 Sabertooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice build!
I'm looking to do something similar to your build but i have a few questions. First, are there cheeper alternatives to the parts you used? like i dont think i need an i7, an i5 would do just fine so is there a specific i5 i'd have to use? second, my G5 currently has an ATI RADEON 9600 XT with 128MB could i just keep that or would i need to get a new graphics card? lastly, how did u do your back panel like that? and would that be required?
-thanks for your help

shubimbi77 said:
Nice build!
I'm looking to do something similar to your build but i have a few questions. First, are there cheeper alternatives to the parts you used? like i dont think i need an i7, an i5 would do just fine so is there a specific i5 i'd have to use? second, my G5 currently has an ATI RADEON 9600 XT with 128MB could i just keep that or would i need to get a new graphics card? lastly, how did u do your back panel like that? and would that be required?
-thanks for your help
Thanks!!

In a 1366 socket you are only able to use the i7 chip for it but there are lower classes of i7 that you can snag in the 1366 series. YOu can try and snag a used lower end Bloomfield processor cheap.

As for the 9600 card there a several listed as working under OS X so you probably will luck out there.

so would u say that i could use an i7-930 instead of ur i7-950? and also, how did u do ur back panel like that, and would i have to do that as well?

shubimbi77 said:
so would u say that i could use an i7-930 instead of ur i7-950? and also, how did u do ur back panel like that, and would i have to do that as well?

Yeah you can use a 930 or even a 920, I just snagged a cheap cheap 920 on ebay for my Gigabyte board. I just had my GA-X58A-UD3R sitting around not doing anything after I got the Sabertooth and I went on ebay and got a 920 for it. I was able to get the bios updated to FG and was messing about with Lion on it for giggles.

As for the backplate, that is the MountainMods mother board tray attachment with two 80mm vent holes in it. It all comes together.

First of all - awesome build! You've done an amazing job - very clean.

I've been thinking about doing this for some time, but I'm curious about the acoustics of the G5 case. How do you find the noise? Is there much? Of course it depends on what kind of fans are in your system, but it seems as though there isn't a lot of acoustic insulation in the G5 case. Is this true?

???????????
?????g5????????????
?????

???????????

maximusprimus said:
First of all - awesome build! You've done an amazing job - very clean.

I've been thinking about doing this for some time, but I'm curious about the acoustics of the G5 case. How do you find the noise? Is there much? Of course it depends on what kind of fans are in your system, but it seems as though there isn't a lot of acoustic insulation in the G5 case. Is this true?

Sorry I did not see this post :oops:

Yeah it's pretty much a metal box. I did however use very quiet fans to make sure it didn't sound like a vacuum cleaner lol.
In doing a G5 mod that is one of those things you need to look out for. There are several different companies that make very low noise fans that would suite your needs. Also you can always attach sound dampeners on the removable side panel and on the other side in front of the mobo and behind the HDDs if you mount them in the front.

zdevil said:
???????????
?????g5????????????
?????

???????????

??????????????
???????
???

Beautiful build. Since you used the same motherboard, I'd like to see if you could help me out with my build.

I have an ASUS Sabertooth X58 as well on the 1201 BIOS (newest BIOS wouldn't boot past "PCI Config. Begin"), 12Gb RAM, EVGA GTX 570 HD 1250Mb, i7 950, 1.5Tb 7200rpm Hdd. I've been trying forever to get a stable config for Logic Studio recording.

I installed 10.7 using Un1Be4st, updated to 10.7.3 using combo updater downloaded from Apple (not auto update), used UserDSDT and the DSDT from T0nyM4c for Asus Sabertooth x58 1201, the AppleHDA ALC892 from Toleda for audio, Isntalled CUDA and used the 10.7.2/10.7.3 combo patch from Mul+IB3ast to enable the GTX570 OpenGL, and used Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6 for 10.7 from Mul+IB3ast to enable network. Then I installed Logic 9, updated it to 9.1.7, installed the kexts for my ProFire 610 interface, and turned everything on.

The audio plays ok if I run an iTunes song. Luxmark says my GTX570 scores an 876, it should be wayyyy higher. If I open a blank project in Logic and do nothing the CPU meter spikes constantly in one core (usually the last one). If I try to record voice through my ProFire 610 (works on other Mac's), it gives a gross techno noise, no voice, levels jump around. Overloads when I try to play back.

I don't know what's wrong, I've tried a hundred different installations, I just want to make music. I need your help T_T

Also, when I sleep it, it just goes black screen and the system stays on. Hit a key, the login screen shows up and I login

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back