Contribute
Register

EBIOS read error: Device timeout / Block 0x0 Sectors 0

Status
Not open for further replies.
rjdoherty said:
redshift82r said:
Only two more issues to fix to get you working. :thumbup:

Bad news number 1 : There is no support for PS/2 keyboards in Mac os/x, soooooo yes you will need a mouse (USB) AND keyboard (USB). I plug in my ps/2 keyboard with one of those old green ps/2 to USB adaptors. Works fine. Note that the MB will recognise the ps/2 keyboard for the purposes of changes to bios etc and chimera will recognise it for selection of boot disk, but it will stop working once OS-X is loaded.

Or you can go the Bluetooth route, but I would strongly advise starting with USB until you have it up and running.

Keep going , you are nearly there !

I had a feeling. That's fine, after getting this far a little USB keyboard/mouse issue is nothing! I'll pickup the adapter tomorrow and post an update. In the mean time, thanks for your help so far.

no worries - all the best!

[SOLVED] EBIOS read error: Device timeout / Block 0x0 Sector

redshift82r said:
rjdoherty said:
redshift82r said:
Only two more issues to fix to get you working. :thumbup:

Bad news number 1 : There is no support for PS/2 keyboards in Mac os/x, soooooo yes you will need a mouse (USB) AND keyboard (USB). I plug in my ps/2 keyboard with one of those old green ps/2 to USB adaptors. Works fine. Note that the MB will recognise the ps/2 keyboard for the purposes of changes to bios etc and chimera will recognise it for selection of boot disk, but it will stop working once OS-X is loaded.

Or you can go the Bluetooth route, but I would strongly advise starting with USB until you have it up and running.

Keep going , you are nearly there !

I had a feeling. That's fine, after getting this far a little USB keyboard/mouse issue is nothing! I'll pickup the adapter tomorrow and post an update. In the mean time, thanks for your help so far.

no worries - all the best!

And just like that, I'm up and running on what appears to be a very stable build. At this point Lion is fully installed and updated with working audio, video, network and Bluetooth. I'm writing up my experience so anyone else with the Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, or someone looking to pickup this board, can follow along step-by-step.

I wish I knew what solved the EBIOS read error. The last time I tried to create the UniBeast USB drive, I used Disk Utility to erase the drive entirely first. Then I followed the guide and created 1 MBR partition, etc. Not sure why, but the 6th time worked.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for helping out!

Great to hear! Don't forget that console.app is your your best helper when it comes to diagnosing any little problems from now on. If you can afford the room, make a small partition on your hard disk and clone your working lion install disk there. That way you've always got a working backup if something goes wrong. Use Carbon Copy Clone.
Always run MultiBeast System utilities after installing any software or software update and before a reboot if the installer asks you to reboot to finish installation.

Also install Onyx - it has some great maintenance scripts and can detect errors in your plists for instance.

Finally, install Alfred.app if you are in the slightest bit lazy like me - I got tired of being over on the second monitor and having to trackpad all the way back to the dock or menu bar to do things. Alfred unlike quicksilver ( which builds its own index, although all add ons are free, space is a premium on my 60gb ssd) , integrates nicely with spotlight and learns as it goes.

Re the USB having boot hangs....some usb's come with driver software installed in a hidden partition. Reformatting the whole device and then partitioning can clear that auto install software, and off you go - its a possible scenario. A lot of people have had the same problem and then gone and tried again with a different USB and that has got them working. I'd maybe suspect that might have been the issue in the end.

I've been running for two months now , and once I got the various hardware compatabilities ironed out, it's been fantastic.

redshift82r said:
Great to hear! Don't forget that console.app is your your best helper when it comes to diagnosing any little problems from now on. If you can afford the room, make a small partition on your hard disk and clone your working lion install disk there. That way you've always got a working backup if something goes wrong. Use Carbon Copy Clone.
Always run MultiBeast System utilities after installing any software or software update and before a reboot if the installer asks you to reboot to finish installation.

Also install Onyx - it has some great maintenance scripts and can detect errors in your plists for instance.

Finally, install Alfred.app if you are in the slightest bit lazy like me - I got tired of being over on the second monitor and having to trackpad all the way back to the dock or menu bar to do things. Alfred unlike quicksilver ( which builds its own index, although all add ons are free, space is a premium on my 60gb ssd) , integrates nicely with spotlight and learns as it goes.

Re the USB having boot hangs....some usb's come with driver software installed in a hidden partition. Reformatting the whole device and then partitioning can clear that auto install software, and off you go - its a possible scenario. A lot of people have had the same problem and then gone and tried again with a different USB and that has got them working. I'd maybe suspect that might have been the issue in the end.

I've been running for two months now , and once I got the various hardware compatabilities ironed out, it's been fantastic.

Hey there guys. I had a similar problem with my build, but patience seemed to be the remedy. All I did was wait when I had the same EBIOS read error and the Chimera boot loader eventually came around.

Don't know why it happened. I had a relatively stable machine for a few weeks now. Hmm.

Why do you recommend carbon copy cloner?

akspecs said:
Why do you recommend carbon copy cloner?

Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC for those at home) is a great shareware app by Mike Bombich that is regularly updated and smartly built. Unlike many other apps and/or forums, including this one, Mike is very responsive to support emails and the app has advanced through its updates, not that it was ever lacking.

If you need a bootable clone, look no further. This app uses the Unix utility rsync to do its magic, plus whatever else Mike has done that allows you to enable and disable files and folders via an intuitive GUI. There are additional options as well, including scheduling and alternative cloning choices.

Please also contribute to Mike for his great work on this essential app.

I was intermittently able to get to the Chimera screen approximately 1 out of every 6 times. When I did finally get to the Chimera screen and selected verbose boot I got:
EBIOS read error: Device timeout

These issues were solved for me by plugging my USB stick into a USB 2.0 port instead of a 3.0 port.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back