Contribute
Register

Easy Way to make a Bootable Clone of your macOS System Drive

Not really, I don't know anything about how you installed Sierra originally. Was Sierra installed, for legacy or UEFI booting ? Was it booting up and running properly ? There really shouldn't be any Windows partitions left on the Sierra drive and if the primary partition doesn't have any name something was not done right.
It's an UEFI booting HP 8300 made actually as per your instructions :) (the 100 percent working Sierra thread). Nothing special about it.

Did everything as written in this (don't really know what could be done wrong in this, since it's so straightforward) and that's what happens :(. Completely working installation which i'm now trying to move to an ssd. It seems the ATI on that Winpe-image just for some reason can't do it properly.

It seems the ATI on that Winpe-image just for some reason can't do it properly.
You can always try Carbon Copy Cloner as the drives don't have to be the same size for that to work. You would just need to install Clover to the EFI partition of the cloned drive as well as required kexts etc.

You can always try Carbon Copy Cloner as the drives don't have to be the same size for that to work. You would just need to install Clover to the EFI partition of the cloned drive as well as required kexts etc.
Thanks for the hint. I'm aware of that method, but trying to avoid it since it's not a proper clone cause you have to modify it for it to work. I've always used Clonezilla since it does a proper clone of the disk and wondered why people don't use it when it seems the only free software that does it simply and perfectly. Well, possibly because it can't clone/restore on a larger disk properly nor nowadays afaik doesn't support apfs.
Currently trying to see whether Crucials Acronis version would do it (and trying to get a portable w10 usb going for this, ugh :)). If not, i guess i'm left with trying the CCC method.

----
Update:
I got the Win10 usb stick working (did it on another windows 10 pc) and seems that Acronis True Image for Crucial is doing it right. Still have to test it though, will report back. The software apparently only requires you have at least one Crucial drive connected to use it and seems to have pretty good functionalities (as my experience earlier with a WD edition of Acronis True Image) so this is definitely a viable option since it's free (given you have at least one Crucial drive at hand). You can also build a rescue media with this so you don't have to have a Windows install afterwards necessarily.
Acronis True Image for Crucial Cloning.PNG

---
Update2: It completed it successfully and after that i was able to normally boot from the clone. Pleasantly fast after that old hdd, ahh. There was one weirdness though: the second time i restarted i got the dreaded prohibited symbol. That might have had something to do with the pc for some reason loading the post screen twice, dunno. Or the fact i've had to do all kinds of weird **** the whole day to get this done :D. I've had that prohibited symbol with another hack every now and then and have no clue what it's about. But now it seems fine and i'll try upgrading to Mojave now on the Sierra SSD.
---
Update3:
Scratch the success story. While it was bootable and worked normally, it didn't extend the machd volume to match the larger drive. And also like ATI 2017 it left a Microsoft reserved partition on the drive. So my faith in Acronis is almost completely shattered (i've used it in the past on windows). But because i'm a psycho, i'm still trying one thing, Acronis 2020, to see whether that makes a difference. After that it'll probably be CCC + install clover + copy efi.
I'll get me coat and leave this here. And thanks anyway trs96 for the work you've done on this method.

Last edited:
Acronis True Image -- Backup
On sale at Newegg.com for $9.99

This price of $9.99 is after an email promo code and rebate. It is worth it if you also use Windows and want Acronis running on the desktop full time making scheduled backups. It also allows you to make a WinPE drive with just Acronis on it to use for backups, cloning and recovery after a HDD or SSD failure. This is macOS High Sierra and APFS friendly as stated previously.
View attachment 345734
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832200139&ignorebbr=1

Make sure you're signed up for Newegg email deals to get the promo code to apply for an extra 10 dollars off.
Acronis states you should get your rebate check within 6-8 weeks.
Rebate offer expires if the rebate check is not cashed within 90 days of the check date.

Acronis 2018 works for macOS Yosemite through High Sierra and Windows 7 through Windows 10.

Hello, I see that your machine configuration is the same as mine. I always fail to install the Hackintosh system, Can you share your Clover Boot folder? Thank you in advance. [DELL OPTIPLEX 9020mt ]

Hello, I see that your machine configuration is the same as mine. I always fail to install the Hackintosh system, Can you share your Clover Boot folder? Thank you in advance. [DELL OPTIPLEX 9020mt ]

and sort out your hardware profile properly please

and sort out your hardware profile properly please

Thank you for your prompt. The configuration has been updated. I am trying to install it

What benefit would this have over just booting a live linux USB and using DD to clone your image to an .iso file stored on a NAS or flash drive?

No need for "third party utilities" or using windows. Just a one line command.

sudo dd if=/dev/sdX of=/mnt/nfs/clone.iso bs=4m,conv=sync,noerror

I was searching for an answer to this event: I have used CCC for all of my cloning... Recently I updated from El Cap to Sierra, but I cloned my main drive to another internal SSD of a different size. CCC actually did clone the EFI partition and I had a bootable clone. I did not have to manually copy EFI folder to the EFI partition on the clone. CCC did it. I turned off the Safety Net to create the clone. I also set it to run a deletion pass.

I did all of my updating to the clone to test the updates first. Once the clone worked right, I duplicated the efforts on the main drive. ( I didn't re-clone the clone. :D ) Now both drive are running Sierra, and both boot.

Here's the thing. I just restarted, clover screen, booted to clone. Fine.
Restarted again, clover screen, booted from Main drive. Panic. Verbose mode - Lot's of 00000000fx0000ffff00f00f (that number isn't literal, I made it up, but similar to this) At the bottom of the screen I saw something to do with FakeSMC. I should have taken a screen shot. If it happens again, I'll snap a pic of the verbose output.

I freaked out a little, but then just did hard shut down, waited about 10 seconds and turned it on again.
At clover screen, booted to Main drive. Fine again. ????

I'm not complaining that it's all good, but any idea why that happened? I wouldn't call it a "problem" so I'm not sure what type of problem reporting files anyone would want to look at, but if anyone has anything about this... please let me know what you want to see and I'll post it. Thank you....

Sorry for being confused, can I ask do you copy Acronis to the USB Drive you are copying the opened iso to before inserting this into the Hackintosh?. booting from the USB then opening it from the same usb stick?.

Sorry for being confused, can I ask do you copy Acronis to the USB Drive you are copying the opened iso to before inserting this into the Hackintosh?. booting from the USB then opening it from the same usb stick?.
Section 1. (b) is just a simple copy and paste of the contents of the ISO to the USB. After that you select it from the F12 boot menu options.

Back