Contribute
Register

Early Adopters > Mavericks on a Gigabyte H/Z97N-WIFI using HD4600 - No Graphics Card Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Opps! I forgot to update the MultiBeast configuration with the advent of MultiBeast v6.4.x. Thanks for the reminder.

No problem! Happy to contribute.

I have the GA-H97N-Wifi, PNY SATA 240GB SSD, intel i5-4570s, and 8GB of Corsair XPS DDR3-1600.

I have set all of the BIOS parameters as recommended.
I have the latest version of Mavericks install (released 9/17/14).

After many hours of trial and error, I finally got Snow Leopard to boot using iBoot on a CD. My first problem, was that I started by using a USB connected external DVD drive, which caused iBoot to show "Apple HFS" instead of "Mac OS X Install DVD" (after the Snow Leopard disk was put in and F5 was pressed). Attaching an internal SATA DVD drive from another computer fixed this problem. Setting "Max CPUID Value Limit" to "Disabled" solved the BSOD with "ACPI driver not found". And then using "-v -x PCIRootUID=1 ACPI=off GraphicsEnabler=No" at the boot line, I was able to get Snow Leopard Install working. After install, I was able to update to version 1.6.8 with no problem.

I was then able to download the Mavericks update from App Store and UniBeast from TonyMacX86. I prepared and created the bootable USB thumb drive with the Mavericks installation and copied MultiBeast for Mavericks to the drive.

Using F12, I booted into the USB drive which then began the Mavericks install. The install seemed to go fine, taking about 1/2 hour. The install was done as an update to Snow Leopard rather than a 'clean' install.

Then the computer rebooted and Chimera came up very quickly. Chimera shows only the SSD and a white status bar "timer" allowing me to 'press a key for options'. If I don't press a key, a white screen with a grey apple logo flashes on the screen for a fraction of a second and the computer then reboots to Chimera where I get the status bar/timer, and then the apple logo, and then reboot. And will continue to do this in an infinite loop until I press a key.

Upon pressing a key, Chimera shows my USB disk and my SSD with Mavericks on it.

Selecting the SSD with the Mavericks OS on it, using -v -x at the boot line, and then pressing enter, I get a long list of various files that goes on for a couple minutes, too fast to read, then a black screen and the computer reboots into Chimera, and I am back where I started (--> goto infinite loop etc.)

Image of final lines before black screen and reboot :
MacFail.jpg

I then did a 'clean' install of Mavericks by deleting the SSD partition and reformatting. At the end the second install said "Install was successful press any key to reboot". Chimera starts up after reboot and I select the Mavericks SSD with the -v and -x flags. I get the whole long list of files again and end up with the same final lines as before (shown in the image above), but this time the computer just freezes with a black screen and does not reboot.

I can't get the operating system to load now, so I can't get to the part where I run MultiBeast. But with all the same BIOS settings and boot line settings with iBoot, Snow Leopard loaded fine.

Does Unibeast or Chimera need to be fixed/updated to work properly with the newest Mavericks install?

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Modified my WLAN card's EEPROM, so shot one of my problems out.
Now it's stuck at Bluetooth problems.
I use the GMYLE USB dongle. What can I do?

...I then did a 'clean' install of Mavericks by deleting the SSD partition and reformatting. At the end the second install said "Install was successful press any key to reboot". Chimera starts up after reboot and I select the Mavericks SSD with the -v and -x flags. I get the whole long list of files again and end up with the same final lines as before (shown in the image above), but this time the computer just freezes with a black screen and does not reboot.

I can't get the operating system to load now, so I can't get to the part where I run MultiBeast. But with all the same BIOS settings and boot line settings with iBoot, Snow Leopard loaded fine.

Does Unibeast or Chimera need to be fixed/updated to work properly with the newest Mavericks install?

Any ideas?
UniBeast and Chimera work fine. If I'm understanding you correctly...After the initial install, did you reboot with UniBeast? This is important. Rebooting the 2nd time with UniBeast because you haven't installed Chimera. This 2nd UniBeast reboot allows you to use MultiBeast for Mavericks which will install Chimera. After running MultiBeast, then you can reboot using Chimera.

Hi Stork,

Earlier this week I built a hackintosh for my grandmother, who uses her computer daily. after following this guide, I had full graphics acceleration, audio, bluetooth, cpu-specific power management, hell, even sleep/wake worked, contrary to what the guide said.

Fast forward to now, when bluetooth stopped working. Now, this is big because my grandmother loves her magic mouse, which is bluetooth. the icon in the toolbar has a zigzag line through it and saying "not available" when clicked on. The integrated BT worked OOB up until now, and even a USB bluetooth dongle only sometimes works. Any ideas?
The fact that the bluetooth dongle only sometimes works leads me to believe that something is wrong with the BT drivers but I can't be sure, and don't know how to test it. This isn't my first hackintosh build, I am relatively experienced when it comes to this.

The specs are as follows:

GA-H97N-WIFI
Intel Core i3-4360
8GB Kingston RAM (maybe hyperX, don't remember)
320GB HDD
450W PSU
iMac 14,1 definition

Thanks for any possible help.

Hmmmm. Try repairing permissions with Disk Utility. It sounds like something when a stray with either app installations or... Sorry, can't think of anything else at the moment.

I removed the WiFi/BT card and am using a BT USB dongle attached to my monitor's USB hub. I plan to install a 11ac combo WiFi/BT card that's compatible with OS X in near future...just have to find the right one for a price I'm willing to pay. :D

Not sure what you mean by "reboot with Unibeast"...

After the clean install I have an SSD with the now installed Mavericks OS and I have a USB drive (initially created using UniBeast running on the previously functioning Snow Leopard desktop) with the Mavericks Installer and a copy of the Multibeast app on it.

The system then reboots, booting from the SSD automatically if I don't hit F12, and starts Chimera automatically.

Chimera is already installed somehow. I am assuming this occurred during the initial boot up of the USB drive for the Mavericks install. (Did Unibeast install Chimera at that point?)

When the system boots into Chimera it shows the Mavericks SSD and the UniBeast SSD. Choosing either, with or without any of the 'boot flags' eventually leads to BSOD.

IF by 'reboot with UniBeast after Mavericks Install' you mean 'Hit F12' 'choose the UniBeast USB thumb drive' and 'enter'....
I have tried this and it also boots to Chimera with the choice of Mavericks SSD or UniBeast SSD.
...At this point, upon trying either the SSD or the USB, I get the same thing - BSOD.

I can't run MultiBeast if I can't get the Mavericks desktop to start.... or is there some way of running MultiBeast from Chimera?

I've already tried repairing permissions but no avail. I don't have time to go through troubleshooting this at the moment, I might just end up buying a new BT dongle, the one I'm using now stops working if nudged. What dongle do you use?

Well, I started from scratch again....

Reinstalled Snow Leopard and updated to 10.6.8
Downloaded Mavericks Install and Unibeast and re-created the Install USB
Downloaded MultiBeast, Kext Utility, AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext, hd5k-azul-d-90 patch and put them on a separate USB drive for easy access.

I checked my BIOS settings:
Limit CPUID Maximum= disabled
XHCI=smart Auto
xHCI handoff = enabled
eHCI handoff = enabled
Wake on Lan = disabled
set Legacy option for P0 boot drive SSD
vT-D = disabled
integrated Intel Graphics = IGFX

I removed the Snow Leopard SSD as I did not want to corrupt this.
I attached another blank SSD for Mavericks install
I booted to the USB thumb drive and Chimera started.
I booted the install USB with -v PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No
I didn't use -x boot flag and the install worked fine.

I re-booted to the USB drive and chose the Mavericks installed SSD.
This time, -v PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No gave me a Kernel Panic
but -v -x PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes worked and I was finally able
to get to the Mavericks Desktop.

I set security & privacy settings as suggested in your guide.
I then ran MultiBeast
I chose: DSDT Free
---------ALC892
---------Intel 9 Series Support
---------Trim Enabler
---------AtherosL1cEthernet
---------AppleIntelE1000e
---------iMac14,1
then BUILD and Install

I dropped the AppleIntelFramebufferAzul.kext on the Kext Utility and it did its thing
I double clicked the graphics_intel_hd5k-azul-d-90_patch.command and it did its thing

I rebooted with the SSD as the start up device and...
All I got was the Apple Logo on a white screen with the timer wheel spinning.
I let it run for about 10 minutes and then decided it must be frozen and shut the computer down.

Now, I figured I could just reboot using the USB drive and the boot flags I used when I got the
Mavericks Desktop to load: -v -x PCIRootUID=1 GraphicsEnabler=No IGPEnabler=Yes

But for some odd reason, although nothing has changed with the USB drive, I get a very strange
error ' a freed zone element has been modified: expected 0xdeadbeefdeadbeef but found
0xdeadbeef88098809, bits changed 0x56a436e6, at offset 16 of 32 in zone: kalloc.32"@
SourceCache/xnu/xnu-2422.115 '

I read online that that error may be related to memory, so I tried the maxmem=4096 but that did
not help.

I was wondering, could Chameleon be loading kexts from the SSD, even though I booted to
the USB?

Do I need to clear a cache and restart with booting from USB ?

Thanks

• :banghead:

UPDATE: Nevermind, see followup reply..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back