Contribute
Register

DVD drive spins up randomly !?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone noticed a DVD drive behavior like this? The topic is two years old, but I've noticed this DVD drive behavior on both my desktop and my ProBook last week.

My desktop does that. I keep the DVD (it is actually a combo CD/DVD/HD-DVD/Bluray) disconnected most of the time, when I'm not planning to use it. I've not noticed it with the ProBook, but then I don't have the DVD connected most of the time there either.

Ok, I was able to compile the source as a 64bit-only binary, using the 10.8 SDK, targeting 10.6, but unfortunately it doesn't seems to work. The drive is recognized as Mat$hita DVD-R UJ-846 (stupid board!) in System Information/Disc Burning, but the random spinning (actually, not so random, happens on every minute or two) starts right after my display has gone to sleep and stops, when I wake it up.

Go to System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> uncheck "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible". This should fix the spinning problem. I'm not sure about the Probook but worked for me on the desktop computer.

Go to System Preferences -> Energy Saver -> uncheck "Put the hard disk to sleep when possible". This should fix the spinning problem. I'm not sure about the Probook but worked for me on the desktop computer.

I've never checked it. That was one of the first options I've unchecked right after I installed OS X on my desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back