Contribute
Register

Dualboot OSX & W7 + Use Parallels/vmWare on SSD, Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z68MX-UD2H
CPU
i5-2500K
Graphics
HD 6850
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. Mac Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi!

Before ordering some Hardware, I run into some questions that might Interest alot of other people in this Forum Community.

Is it Possible to have a Single SSD with a pure/native OSX and Windows 7 installation which is able to run/boot OSX, Windows 7 but also run the Windows 7 in Parallels/vmWare?

(To summary what I meant, Is it possible to install and Use OSX and Windows 7 in the same way I use it my Current Macbook?)

+If any knows or have an opinion that that reads this post... Is Partitioning a SSD a good or a BAD idea?

Thanks A lot!
Lenny

Installing/running Windows 7 inside of OSX is not a problem, done it before using Paralells.

If you mean installing Windows 7 outside of OSX (but on same hdd) and then using that installation within OSX, that I don't know about.

I recently tried to setup Win7 and OSX on same drive but its tricky and much easier to put them on seperate drives if you want to dual boot (then use F8 to select your boot drive).

EDIT: As for the partitioning an SSD question... I seem to have noticed a slowdown in my boot time after several installs on my SSD. It used to boot into OSX within 4 spins of the Apple 'loading' icon. Now it takes 14 spins. Wether thats related to partitions or not I'm not sure but before I used to have 1 large partition instead of several small ones so possibly.

Yes you can have a real Windows installation and have it also be accessible from Parallels if you want. Parallels simply thinks its a boot camp partition.

H8TR said:
Yes you can have a real Windows installation and have it also be accessible from Parallels if you want. Parallels simply thinks its a boot camp partition.

Cool will have to try that out at some point, thanks.

eelhead said:
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=20872

Thanks for the link, heres my response:
viewtopic.php?p=135703#p135703

eelhead said:

Oh! Thank you! What a beautiful Thread!!

I've had this question in my brain for a week at least but didn't post it until now...

Too bad there's so little information about the partitioning of a SSD available..
Only 2 6gbs SATA Ports... 1 for a single SSD (~120gb) and the Second for a Mechanical HDD (some TB's).. Maybe it's time to invest in 2 SSD (~60gb)and replace the HDD in a 3gbs SATA...

NOTE, The Build isn't compiled yet! Still in decision-making Process!

littlelen said:
eelhead said:

Oh! Thank you! What a beautiful Thread!!

I've had this question in my brain for a week at least but didn't post it until now...

Too bad there's so little information about the partitioning of a SSD available..
Only 2 6gbs SATA Ports... 1 for a single SSD (~120gb) and the Second for a Mechanical HDD (some TB's).. Maybe it's time to invest in 2 SSD (~60gb)and replace the HDD in a 3gbs SATA...

NOTE, The Build isn't compiled yet! Still in decision-making Process!
That's what I was thinking was adding some SSD action!

H8TR said:

I tried that awhile ago, and I ran into windows activation problems whenever I'd switch... I called it a day and converted my bootcamp partition to a pure VM and havent looked back (I don't need Windows for much anyway).

They may have worked on that issue since then... but just an FYI.

fuma said:
H8TR said:

I tried that awhile ago, and I ran into windows activation problems whenever I'd switch... I called it a day and converted my bootcamp partition to a pure VM and havent looked back (I don't need Windows for much anyway).

They may have worked on that issue since then... but just an FYI.
I haven't had that issue and I just set mine up about a month ago. My one HDD is straight up Win 7 and when I installed parallels I choose that HDD as the source and all has been ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back