Contribute
Register

Dual Booting Recomendations and Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I built my computer and started to boot Mavericks using my Unibeast USB. I am having in issue when booting. Unibeast pops up and asks me to select the Mavericks USB. After clicking enter the Apple Logo pops up and has a spinning wheel. Then flashes black and loads up a white screen with the apple cursor in top left corner which switches to a beach ball and never changes. I have tried -x and -v and GraphicsEnabler=Yes (Then it detects the GTX 760 instead of the Intel HD4000 graphics). I always get an error

Unable to open /var/db/BootCache.playlist: 2 No such File or directory.

I am in AHCI mode and this a Gigabyte Mobo. I Thought these boards were almost plug and play????

PLEASE HELP!

I Thought these boards were almost plug and play????

Most of them are, but you chose to use a board with a Z97 PCH, which has not been used by Apple yet in any of their models. Consequently, Z97s are not fully supported and it is catch-as-catch-can luck whether you have any success with them.

Suggest a forum search with your model board as keyword - someone else might have already come up with the fix you need.

Ok I have been looking and so far nothing. I can boot using -x and if Installed mavericks. I have USB 3.0 and Ethernet from multi beast. The only thing is when I don't boot in safe mode I cannot get into mavericks and the load crashes. The boot cache is still an issue. I just need to figure out sound, booting with using my 760 enabled and not having to interrupt the install. Does anybody else know?

Ok I have been looking and so far nothing. I can boot using -x and if Installed mavericks. I have USB 3.0 and Ethernet from multi beast. The only thing is when I don't boot in safe mode I cannot get into mavericks and the load crashes. The boot cache is still an issue. I just need to figure out sound, booting with using my 760 enabled and not having to interrupt the install. Does anybody else know?

You could take a look at some of the Z97 user builds in that forum or the Golden builds forum - some of them have "what I did" descriptions of how they got it working.

Also, you coult try remove the GPU and use CPU gfx to install - in BIOS set first init display to internal graphics and set IGFX memory to 64M and install with -x, then, once you are working and booting from HDD/SSD, install the GPU and change the BIOS back to auto or PCIe for the graphics card.
No guarantees it will work, but it sometimes does.

You could also post the problem in Mavericks desktop support forum, as this is not really a multi-boot problem, it is an OS X installation problem.

I finally gave up, I just want to ask your opinion. If I switch to a Gigabyte Z87 OC, I should be good right? Should be much easier to install right. Multibeast will fix almost all the kent issues since OSX has been run on the 87 chipset before right?

I finally gave up, I just want to ask your opinion. If I switch to a Gigabyte Z87 OC, I should be good right? Should be much easier to install right. Multibeast will fix almost all the kent issues since OSX has been run on the 87 chipset before right?

GA-Z87 OC would work well, but remember it needs a BIOS upgrade to use the Haswell refresh CPU before installing the refrech CPU - otherwise it will not POST. Make sure the vendor has an upgraded BIOS board or have the BIOS upgraded before purchase, or have a shop lined up to upgrade it for you.

GA-Z87 OC would work well, but remember it needs a BIOS upgrade to use the Haswell refresh CPU before installing the refrech CPU - otherwise it will not POST. Make sure the vendor has an upgraded BIOS board or have the BIOS upgraded before purchase, or have a shop lined up to upgrade it for you.

I was planning to order it off amazon. If the chance the bios isn't updated do I need an older LGA 1150 socket CPU to update it? Should I call first to make sure?

any older 1150 CPU could be used to upgrade the BIOS, even the cheapest Pentium you could find - the problem is, from what I have read here on the forum, you have to have a CPU installed in order to upgrade the BIOS, and the BIOS has to support the installed CPU in order to POST. Since the older BIOS has no support for the Haswell refresh CPUs, it won't even POST.

Alright I got my new board and installed OSX like a breeze. Everything works great! Windows is installed two and is fast and snappy! Last thing though. I can only boot to windows if I have my unibeast USB inserted. When booting to the Mac drive only OSX is shown as an option. When booting to hard drive I get
Install OSX Mavericks| Mac OSX| System Reserved| Windows NTFS

How do I get these windows volumes into chimera? It's not automatically detecting them ?:beachball:

Alright I got my new board and installed OSX like a breeze. Everything works great! Windows is installed two and is fast and snappy! Last thing though. I can only boot to windows if I have my unibeast USB inserted. When booting to the Mac drive only OSX is shown as an option. When booting to hard drive I get
Install OSX Mavericks| Mac OSX| System Reserved| Windows NTFS

How do I get these windows volumes into chimera? It's not automatically detecting them ?

Remove the UniBeast USB. At the Chimera timeout screen hit any key (I usually use the down arrow key)
and you should see icons for Mac OS X, System Reserved and Windows NTFS. To boot Windows, select System Reserved icon and hit enter.

If you want to see this menu every time you boot, install Instant Menu with MultiBeast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back