nVidia 8400GT 512 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Dual booting Hackintosh + Linux [SOLVED]

I have an existing Hackingtosh install working perfectly and I would like to add an option to boot into Linux. I used the diskutil to make a 12 G partition at the end of the disk where I installed a minimal Linux. How can I get the multibeast bootloader to see it?

Does multibeast have a config file one can edit to add a chainloading option?

FIgured it out.

1) Shrink the mac partition(s) to expose the desired amount of space for linux.
2) Boot into a live linux environment and partition the drive to your liking (I used ext4 for the boot partition and ext4 for the system partition).
3) Flag the /boot partition as bootable using a util such as gparted.
4) Install or copy over the linux files to the filesystems you just created.
5) Chroot into the linux partitions and setup /etc/fstab as well as install grub2-bios.
6) Install grub to the root partition you created; in my case it was on sdb5 `grub-install --target=i386-pc --recheck --force /dev/sdb5`

That's it. Chimera should be able to see this upon hitting <space> on its splash screen.

Hi bluesky,

I am dual booting OSX 10.8.3 with arch linux, however after installing the boot loader for Linux ie grub and make that partition bootable using parted, chimera is unable to see it.

on hitting space in chimera boot what command should we pass so that it boots from disk0s4 that's the Linux boot loader.

Finally fixed it..!!!!

I have dual booted my system using Mac OSX 10.8.3 and Arch Linux, where I have two partitions for Linux (I have only one 1000GB disk).
So /dev/sda4 and /dev/sda5 is for Linux, where /dev/sda4 is for boot (ext3) and /dev/sda5 is LVM. Once Arch Linux is installed, Chimera was unable to locate it and I used to boot using a bootable USB and manually booted the GRUB. If you want Chimera to do it, just boot into Arch Linux and use the tool "cgdisk", that is the "cfdisk" substitute for GPT disks.

Once you open /dev/sda and change the type of partition for /dev/sda4 (the GRUB) from "Linux Filesystem" to "Microsoft Basic Data" (code 0700) and write the partition table. Do NOT set boot flag on (setting boot flag turns that partition as EFI, which we do not need). There is no data loss in my case, for safety you may want to dump data of your boot partition.

Reboot your system and VOILA..!!, you will see a cute TUX in your Chimera boot screen. :thumbup: :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back