Contribute
Register

Dual boot - Windows 8.1 & Yosemite - Toshiba Satellite P55t-A5202 - help required

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Inspiron 15 i15547-5033sLV Signature Edition Laptop
CPU
Intel Core i5-4210U 1.70 GHz
Graphics
Intel HD 4400
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello tonymacx86 members!

This is my first post and first trial at a Hackintosh, so im a total noob to Hackintoshing but been in IT industry for quite sometime.

I am trying to dual-boot Windows 8.1 (which is already installed and running) and Yosemite on my laptop. I have legal Yosemite OS X copy (downloaded from my friends MacBook) on Silicon Power 16 GB USB3.0 (Unibeast 1 partition bootable USB) and legal Win8.1 on SanDisk Cruzer 8 GB USB2.0 ("Create Windows Installation Media" bootable USB).

My laptop is of the following configuration
Make/Model - Toshiba Satellite P55t-A5202 (BestBuy USA model)
Processor - Intel i5-4200u 1.70 Ghz (Haswell ULT)
Instructions - SSE2,3,4,4.1,4.2
Motherboard - Toshiba VG10ST
Graphics - Intel HD 4400
Memory - 8 GB DDR3
HDD - 750 GB (5400rpm, Serial ATA)
OS - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
BIOS Mode - UEFI (CSM available as an option in BIOS)
BIOS - American Megatrends Aptio Setup Utility
- Secure Boot = Disabled (i manually did it)
- SATA Configuration to change ACHI is not available
- Virtualization = VT-x

Now i changed BOOT order in BIOS and when i restart my machine, the machine always boots Windows and doesnt even care fro USB drive :( It starts with "Toshiba Leading Innovation", screen blacks for a bit and boots directly to Windows logon screen.

Can you please guide me on what i am missing ?
If I confused u guys, can you please guide me on how can i
1. Install Yosemite in this laptop?
2. Have a welcome screen (even CommandPrompt-like) that allows me to choose which OS (Yosemite vs Win8.1) i want to boot into?

Thanks in advance!

P.S: I read through an enormous amount of websites, watched a lot of YouTube videos, but still couldnt figure this out. Any help would be deeply apprecaited and rewarded too :) I shall stand by my word :)

Are you using Clover? If not, you should be...

And if you're using Clover, and Windows is installed (assuming you installed Clover UEFI)... then you simply need to rename /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi.

Thanks for the response, Rehabman.

No, i am not using (and did not use) Clover. Do you have any links for how to use Clover?

I read your post about Clover but you suggest to use Clover even before downloading OSX onto USB right? i already have download OSX into a bootable USB. Do you want me to download it again ?

Thanks in advance!

Will this allow me to retain or preserve the existing Windows installation ?

I have partitioned 4 drives
C- Windows - 250 GB
F - NTFS -Blank Partition - 150 GB (expecting OS X to install here)
D & E - 175 and 175 GB - with my personal data (movies, music, documents)

Will this allow me to retain or preserve the existing Windows installation ?

I have partitioned 4 drives
C- Windows - 250 GB
F - NTFS -Blank Partition - 150 GB (expecting OS X to install here)
D & E - 175 and 175 GB - with my personal data (movies, music, documents)

Information regarding preserving an existing Windows UEFI install is linked in post #2 of the guide.

Did you read it?

Information regarding preserving an existing Windows UEFI install is linked in post #2 of the guide.

Did you read it?

Yes sir, I read it :thumbup: Great guide! But it guides on installing it to same partition, not different partition, right ? Would those steps work with separate paritition ?

Yes sir, I read it :thumbup: Great guide! But it guides on installing it to same partition, not different partition, right ? Would those steps work with separate paritition ?

Partitioning divides a disk into separate areas. It is not possible to install two operating systems on one partition.

Partitioning divides a disk into separate areas. It is not possible to install two operating systems on one partition.

Im not trying to install 2 OS in the same partition..
Partition C will have Windows (i wont touch anything)
Partition F, a freshly created 140 GB, will host OS X. Is it possible to install just OS X on partition F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back