Contribute
Register

Dual Boot Mavericks & Windows 7 Following RehabMan's Guide Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks a lot RM!
Best way to share file between the 2 (os x and win 7)?
Better to create a third exfat partition for the data or whatelse?

Thanks again!

I don't use exFAT because of a buggy implementation in OS X. Instead, I install Apple's bootcamp drivers for (readonly) access to HFS+ which provides a convenient way to transfer via HDD given that I can read NTFS from OS X and then read HFS+ from Windows. It is not exactly "sharing" because it isn't read/write access (for sharing I have a file server running WHS2011), but it is good enough for the occasional transfer.

Thanks a lot RM!
Best way to share file between the 2 (os x and win 7)?
Better to create a third exfat partition for the data or whatelse?

Thanks again!

You can also use a NAS in NTFS format and then add write access for Macs with software such as Paragon NTFS for Mac. I am currently using this scheme to copy files from OS X 10.9 to my NAS. I am using a GoFlex NAS and it is working great! I also use a FAT 32 drive for Linux, Windows, and Mac stuff; but, you probably know that you can't copy files over the 4 GB limitation it imposes. FYI, I also have another drive that has HFS+ and XFAT partitions so I can use it depending upon which OS is active at a particular time and without the 4 GB limitation.

+1 for the NAS.
I have one of these and IMO it's far more flexible solution than the external hard drives. I'm accessing it via NFS (supported by OS X, Linux and Windows 7 Ultimate) and the transfer speeds are pretty good. I can even use it as a Time Machine backup server (supported by the firmware, Linux based).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back