Contribute
Register

DSDT Gigabyte P55M-UD4 for BIOS F8?

Status
Not open for further replies.
timg said:
What is everyone using for audio?

The 0.9.9 Multibeast kext works great for line out, but doesn't have a digital output.

Tony's new LagacyHDA (from viewtopic.php?f=16&t=870) looks great and has functioning digital and analogue outputs, but causes stuttering, artifacts, and other issues with the output. It also corrupts something so even the old one has stuttering and artifacts when reinstalled. I tried to fix it by deleting caches with Onyx and repairing permissions, but even that didn't help. Finally, I had to use SuperDuper to restore my backup (with the MB LegacyHDA) and that fixed it.

Bansaku's (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1189) had two audio devices, but nothing in my Sound Preferences.

I think I may also try VoodooHDA, but I never had much luck with it on my last board.

Thanks.

Tim

If you really want high quality audio I would probably just get one of these and call it good...

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/microII/home.aspx

5.1 Digital, done...Never worry about kexts etc...

I am looking for cheap medium quality (<100) digital input computer speakers. If you find some let me know...

My sound and digital I/O are working and I'm still building an outboard DAC to use with my Grado headphones: http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma2/

I'm wondering if anyone ever managed to solve the driver issues with Creative X-FI sound cards and OSX? The on board audio in the ALC codecs is "OK" but it's far from being what I would consider "audiophile" in quality.

I have what was a really expensive X-FI card with all the add ons - remote, digital breakout box, etc. I'd love to be able to use it for my next build - the "super Mac Pro Media Monster".

ne0shell said:
My sound and digital I/O are working and I'm still building an outboard DAC to use with my Grado headphones: http://www.amb.org/audio/gamma2/

I'm wondering if anyone ever managed to solve the driver issues with Creative X-FI sound cards and OSX? The on board audio in the ALC codecs is "OK" but it's far from being what I would consider "audiophile" in quality.

I have what was a really expensive X-FI card with all the add ons - remote, digital breakout box, etc. I'd love to be able to use it for my next build - the "super Mac Pro Media Monster".

Maybe post this audio?

MacMan said:
cakemonster said:
The F8 DSDT from MacMan seems to work well, no hangs on boot. No noticeable changes from the F7, but video, and sound work. Sleep works but you lose USB mouse if you don't use the power button on the case to wake up. So no noticeable change from F7 DSDT, but always good to be up to date.

I just dropped it in to /Extra, then ran the Disk Utility in Multibeast. Not sure if that was necessary or not.

Thank You very much!

EDIT: Actually, I am getting strange behavior with my BIOS after updating, it is not saving the changes that I make and doing some random things. I am going to try going back to the F7, maybe this has nothing to do with it, but it is peculiar. I rebooted several times and after working well the very first reboot, after that it was resetting my BIOS features to defaults, including reset to IDE. The BIOS was "smart" and would ask me if I wanted to use the last working BIOS setup. It kept doing this. I went back to the F7 version and it went away. I am worried the CMOD reset edits in this are suspect, but maybe it was something else I did. In any case, back to F7 version BIOS from Multibeast and everything is working great again.

Sorry my bad, I somehow skipped the CMOS reset fix.

Here is the correct version.

This one seems to work for me, sleep, audio, graphics...Will report back if changes...

Success! I finally have everything running exactly the way I want it. Here are the details.

DSDT: Latest F8 version with CMOS fix from this thread.
Smbios: MacPro3,1 from MultiBeast 0.9.9

Extras/Extensions: (Only 4 kexts!)
fakesmc.kext from MultiBeast 0.9.9
JMicron36xeSATa.kext and JMicron36xeSATa.kext from http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/03/jmicron-sata-support.html
LegacyHDA.kext from http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=213

Hard drives are grey from JMicron36x(e)SATA kexts.

Sleep works

About this Mac says "Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7" based on the following being added to smbios.plist
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1793</string>

Full video acceleration (GraphicsEnabler=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist)

Full Audio with vanilla 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext (green analog, plus auto-switching headphones, plus SPDIF/digital including Dolby Digital when running PLEX) PLEX overrides the Sound Preference setting so I can use my analog desktop speakers normally, but then PLEX automatically plays Dolby Digital through my receiver using the SPDIF for bitstreaming.

Apple Macbook IR receiver for full control with Harmony 880 (plus iPazzPort bluetooth keybaord/trackpad just in case)

I haven't tried for any performance improvements, but my Geekbench is as good as it ever was at stock processor speeds.

Tim

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 1.10.43 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 1.10.43 PM.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 184
  • Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 1.10.04 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-04-13 at 1.10.04 PM.png
    61.2 KB · Views: 192
timg said:
Success! I finally have everything running exactly the way I want it. Here are the details.
[snip]
I haven't tried for any performance improvements, but my Geekbench is as good as it ever was at stock processor speeds.
Hi Tim,

I get similar results, however, my RAM is recognized as 1333, unless I enable XMP.
However, when enabling XMP, I get GB of ~3500...
Started playing with the BIOS Advanced CPU Settings, and couldn't get it to sleep consistently...
Is your RAM recognized OOB as 1600 ?

OOTB, my ram was recognized as 1066. I've reconfigured it in the bios for 1333 mhz with auto (7 7 7 7 16) timings. With the UD2, I tried it at 1600 mhz with 8 8 8 8 24 timings. If I remember right, I wasn't really seeing a big difference between the two (1333 vs 1600) in terms of Geekbench scores.

Tim

timg said:

DSDT: Latest F8 version with CMOS fix from this thread.
Smbios: MacPro3,1 from MultiBeast 0.9.9

Extras/Extensions: (Only 4 kexts!)
fakesmc.kext from MultiBeast 0.9.9
JMicron36xeSATa.kext and JMicron36xeSATa.kext from http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/2010/03/jmicron-sata-support.html
LegacyHDA.kext from http://efixusers.com/showthread.php?t=213

Hard drives are grey from JMicron36x(e)SATA kexts.

Sleep works

About this Mac says "Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7" based on the following being added to smbios.plist
<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1793</string>

Full video acceleration (GraphicsEnabler=Yes in com.apple.Boot.plist)

Full Audio with vanilla 10.6.3 AppleHDA.kext (green analog, plus auto-switching headphones, plus SPDIF/digital including Dolby Digital when running PLEX) PLEX overrides the Sound Preference setting so I can use my analog desktop speakers normally, but then PLEX automatically plays Dolby Digital through my receiver using the SPDIF for bitstreaming.

Apple Macbook IR receiver for full control with Harmony 880 (plus iPazzPort bluetooth keybaord/trackpad just in case)

Tim

Sweet! Did your optical out work with the Imac smbios and that kext or no? Why did you switch? Would you mind posting that kext here?

Did you have optical out before using that new LegacyHDA kext? I don't have anything optical to test with now...

My memory sayes 1600 in BIOS, but 1333 in OSX. Is OSX just not detecting what it is really running at?

Also, any good overclocking settings? I am gonna set up a windows drive to do EasyTune I think...but could be dissuaded...

Finally when I add...

<key>SMcputype</key>
<string>1793</string>

to my smbios.plist

It doesn't change what I see... Related to using imac smbios?

I have attached my entire Extras folder.

I'm running the MacPro smbios because that was what I initially installed with. I never tried the iMac smbios.

The optical/digital outputs only worked correctly with the kext from efixusers. VoodooHDA just saw my graphics card. The MultiBeast0.9.9 kext didn't have any digital outputs. Tony's newest LegacyHDA kexts from the stickied thread caused lots of noise, popping, and other issues (though all inputs and outputs seemed to work otherwise). Somehow, those newest kexts continued to cause audio issues even after being replaced so I had to restore my cloned backup.

When I set the RAM to 1600 mhz, it has been picked up by the System Profiler.

I tried EasyTune, but it kept asking for permission to run every time I booted Windows, so I removed it out of annoyance. Before I blew my last motherboard (P55M-UD2), I was making the changes manually in the bios.

Tim

Attachments

• Extra.zip
    309 KB · Views: 115
Thank You. The reason I went with the imac smbios was that it uses the i7 860 etc, but maybe that was a bad call. I will try that kext.

Thank You very much.

My graphics are great with GraphicsEnabler=yes, but the optical audio is a nice bonus.

MJ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back