Contribute
Register

Don't know where to begin for Mountain Lion system..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
ga z77x ud5
CPU
i5 3570k
Graphics
GeForce GT 640
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi Guys,

I don't know where to begin. Do I just follow the CustoMac? I am looking to build a system for general web browsing and some graphic design. I don't need anything like 8GB of RAM just don't know what motherboard to go for.

I will be running i5 sandy or ivy, which is better?

You should start with a budget and look for most compatible components that your money can buy. Ivy is newer than Sandy so it can be thought of as better. Sandy used to be most compatible so was better but that is not so anymore. GA-Z77-DS3H is a good budget board that is very compatible according to my research. That might be a good candidate for your system.

Ram:
http://www.ebuyer.com/264750-g-skill-8gb-ddr3-1600mhz-ripjawsx-memory-f3-12800cl9d-8gbxl

Processor:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007RUZKK6/?tag=tonymacx86-21

Graphics Card:
I don't know which one to go for...

PSU:
I don't know what PSU to purchase. I will only be browsing the internet, doing photoshop, movies and email as well as chat.#

Not a problem, can buy that easily.

Wireless Card:
TP-Link PCI Express
Wifi Adapter
(TL-WDN4800)

Case:
I will choose this later, it is not a problem.

I have the Hard Disk Drives already

You should start with a budget and look for most compatible components that your money can buy. Ivy is newer than Sandy so it can be thought of as better. Sandy used to be most compatible so was better but that is not so anymore. GA-Z77-DS3H is a good budget board that is very compatible according to my research. That might be a good candidate for your system.

Sandy is most compatible as you can Snow Leopard / Lion / Mountain Lion provided you have a supported video card. I use a Sandy system and run all 3 systems (10.6.8 / 10.7.4 / 10.8.1) with no problems so far.

For Ivy systems you will need to run Mountain Lion and you need access to a real Mac or another hacktinosh running Snow Leopard or higher to download Mountain Lion from the App Store and make a UniBeast USB stick to boot and install Mountain Lion.

I have a MacBook Pro running Mountain Lion...

Will this be okay in order to get the unibeast going? I don't know what motherboard and graphics card to go for at all...

Which Mobo are grahics card are easiest to work with that don't require a lot of hassle?

In terms of RAM and Hard drives, that is sorted as I have them from my previous computer. I also don't know which PSU will a 600w be ok?

It will be for general use and i will also use photoshop that is all

Inboard graphics are fine, what motherboard?

Which is the easiest to setup? I'll be needing hdmi and VGA output for sure...

Not sure which one Has all the features working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back