Contribute
Register

Do you own a real Mac?

Do You Own a Real Mac?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I own a Mac. My very first Mac is the Late 2014 Mac mini base model ($499 USD). I kind of want to get a Macbook Air though. :)

First Apple I ever used was a then new Apple IIe back in high school, while at home I first owned an Oric Atmos with cassettes... Later used a Macintosh at the university. Ever since owned and used several PCs (Tulip, Hyundai, Vaios, self built etc) until I switched back in 2009.
Now I own (for our family) a 21.5 2009 iMac, a 27 2010 iMac (with 1TbSSD), a 2011 MacMini, a 2010 13.3 MBP (with 500 GB SSD), a 2015 13.3 MBP retina, two ATVs (ATV2 and ATV3), a 2nd Gen iPad, an iPad Mini, an iPad Air 2, an ipHone 4 and an iPhone 5, all working fin, as well as 4 Hackintoshes in our network at work, all self-built and tuned!
Now thinking/planning of my next Hackintosh build, hopefully with two 4k monitors (
:crazy:?)....

Starting from the real Mac...

• 2014 13" MacBook Pro for travelling
  • Late 2012 iMac modified with dual SSD RAID0 replacing the fusion drive
  • 2009 MacPro 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 and 12 core dual 6 core Xeons running at 3.46GHz (31000 GB3)
  • Z97 UD5H gigabyte as the home server running Yosemite and OS X Server
  • X99-Deluxe 5960X Hack OC'd to 4.54GHz (36,000 GB3).

My wife uses the iMac while I use the MacPro and the X99, the latter for fun and pushing limits as much as I can...a great learning machine.

That's it.

I have a Mid 2010 Mac Mini and a Mid 2013 11" MacBook Air. When my Mini was almost at the end of its AppleCare extended warranty, it suffered a graphics problem that the Genius Bar couldn't solve. It took them three tries to fix the problem, and I needed to do some Mac stuff while waiting. -> Thanks,Tony! :thumbup: My Mini has not had any problems since then, and my Air has never had any problems, but I keep a multi-boot PC just in case. I still do all of my OS X stuff on a real Mac.

I was provided a Macbook for work that actually matches pretty closely the specs and power of my desktop (for what was probably 3x the cost), but I haven't bought an Apple device in several years. My Hackintosh has been a workhorse for a while, and probably will continue to be for a while.

My family have had Apples/Macs since my father was a child. Grew up with the blue iMac G3; dad had a blue PowerMac G3. The family had a Mac Mini G5 and Mac Mini Core Duo IIRC, and currently has a 2010 Mac Mini Core 2 Duo. My dad has had various MacBooks and just recently got the MBP (the one that still has an optical drive).

I got a PowerBook G4 from my grandfather that I used during my last year of high school (2012); it was underpowered then and it's even more so now, but it still works! I have the 2012 rMBP (graduation/college gift from grandparents); I got a MacBookPro3,1 with a dead logic board from someone, replaced the logic board (via eBay) and gave it to my brother.

Then I have the hack I built this year, which is becoming my main machine. I'm seriously considering another HTPC-sized build to replace the family Mini.

I own several, but I prefer hacks for new machines. I have a 2002 iMac G4 20 Inch that now houses an Intel NUC, a 2001 Dual Processor PowerMac G4, several dead G5s, a dead MacBook Unibody, a 2009 and 2011 MacBook Pro, a 2006 Mac Pro, and a 2006 Xserve with XRAID Disk Array.

Here's my little list... :ugeek:

2 x iMac G4 17" (original condition)
1 x iMac G4 17" (Hackintoshed - the HemiMac)
1 x G4 Cube (Hackintoshed)
1 x iMac G5 17" (original condition)
1 x iMac G5 17" (Hackintoshed, writing this post on it, project just finished, details will follow)
1 x iMac G5 20" (original condition)
1 x PowerMac G5 (Hackintoshed)

good hacking

MacTester

I do own a Mac mini (Late 2009) with OSX Yosemite installed. I have modded it inside for better temperatures but it's working perfect!

But I have 3 MacPro on the company I'm working too. The 3rd is MacPro 6,1, two days years old...

But I have to say, NO COMPARING WITH MY HAKINTOSH's PERFORMANCE...too much money for nothing.

Attachments

• apple_mac_mini_2ghz 2009-500x500.jpg
    apple_mac_mini_2ghz 2009-500x500.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 75
I do own real macs
2012 Mac Mini
2012 Macbook pro

But my wife has an iMac 5K with a core i7 and upgraded graphics :( ... not jealous of course

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back