• Newton[/*:m:x1ek8gvw]
  • Newton 2000[/*:m:x1ek8gvw]
  • iPhone original (JB'ed and on T-Mobile)[/*:m:x1ek8gvw]
  • iPhone 3g (JB'ed and on T-Mobile)[/*:m:x1ek8gvw]
  • AppleTV 1st gen[/*:m:x1ek8gvw]

Computers:
  • Performa? 6500[/*:m:x1ek8gvw]
  • Powermac G5[/*:m:x1ek8gvw]
  • Mac Pro 1st Gen (sold because of the stupid PCI card difference with the later models)[/*:m:x1ek8gvw]
  • Mac Pro 2nd Gen[/*:m:x1ek8gvw]

I work on a legit Mac at work. I got tired of seeing all the GPU options available for $500 dollar hackintoshes that would never work in my damn legitimate Mac Pro. I would have gladly paid the Apple tax for a current gen card but NOOOoOoOoo. They don't even give you that option – just 2 year old cards at their original launch prices. Asinine.

Apple gets 90% so right and 10% so wrong. Its that 10% that is so exceptionally infuriating. This time I decided the relative risk of a hackintosh was worth it. So I bit the bullet and bought all my parts and put the rig together. Once it was working well I put the Mac Pro for sale on craigslist and got 75% of original purchase price. 25% depreciation for 2 years of use!!

My current rig cost less than a Mac Mini and can keep up with my 1st gen Mac Pro. I'll gladly trade that performance with a real Mac resale value any time.

Quite the variety on here, I've always wanted a G5 Powerbook ;) :p wish that would have come to light. My first Mac was a iBook G4 12" 867MHz with 640MB Ram (maxed) that I had Panther on, which I loved! Lasted me 3 years before I bought a 1.86 CD Mini with Tiger. Upped that to Leopard and used it for about 1.5 years before selling it. Now I'm Mac-less.

Been doing the Hack thing for the last year and a half (about 5 different desktops and 2 laptops), and I would have to say that I prefer the Hacintosh desktop but would buy nothing else but a MBP for a lappy. I plan on getting one with the SB refresh and can't wait.

Also I've had about 5 iPods and other Mac accessories.

I started with a 14" ibook g4 1ghz. I had been into building and doing all my own work, but then I went to college and wanted something that was no-nonsense that I could count on. It was way more productive for me than a PC. Maybe that was due to the limited support of video games :) Anywho I fell in love with macs, so when my wife and I got married we got a bunch of money and I dropped some of it on a 2.2ghz santa rosa 15" MacBook Pro. That thing kicks so much ass to this day. I love that machine. Just about every darn part on it has broken (screen went 'out', Logic board replaced twice, DVD replaced twice, ram fried once) in in the course of me owning it, but apple has had turn around time on the order of minutes for all the problems. They simply took it in the back replaced whatever and I had it in my hot hands in a few minutes good as new. Their customer service in my opinion is second to none.
So then we needed a second PC. One that kicked more modern butt so I built my current i7860 build on a GA-P55A-UD3 with 8gb 1333 and a whole wack of old HDDs and other junk that was laying around. It has been a little less friendly than an apple product, but luckily I have my old MBP to fall back on in case of emergency. I still love the apple products and when I have a bit more money to my name I will likely buy one of their products again.

I own a MacBook 13" for my mobile computing needs and a Mac mini as my media centre attached to the TV...
I have owned about 20 Macs so far...

So, Ole Betsy still works with a fresh install and upgrade to 10.5.8 and iLife.
IMG_0195.JPGIMG_0196.JPGIMG_0198.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0195.JPG
    IMG_0195.JPG
    710.2 KB · Views: 229
  • IMG_0196.JPG
    IMG_0196.JPG
    672.5 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    574.4 KB · Views: 193
I have a 13" Macbook Pro and a 20" imac, but I'm selling the imac to offset the price of Hackintosh that is currently being built. I do a lot of video editing and the imac just doesn't cut it anymore and to go to a Mac Pro would be too costly.

I've had an Apple IIGS, Mac SE, Power Mac 7200, and Power 7300. I was pretty much soured on Macs after the 7300 because the price to performance was terrible compared to PCs.

Then about a year and a half ago, I discovered the awesome mac-only app RAW Developer. I was like, I'm going to try this hackintosh thing cause all I want is to run this one app. A couple of months later I had deleted my Windows partition because it had just sat there.

The only problem now with buying a real mac pro is that all I get in return for $3000 extra is a shiny case :p

I currently own:
MBP 15" 2.4 GHz - late 2007
MBA 11" 1.6 GHz - late 2010
iPad 64GB with Wi-Fi + 3G
Time Capsule 2TB
Apple TV late 2008 + Apple TV 2010
iPhone 3-16GB, iPhone 3GS-32GB, iPhone 4-32GB
Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel)
iPod Touch - late 2009
Airport Express - 2010
Airport Extreme 2007
A number of wired and wireless keyboards, mice, magic trackpads, etc.

I like Apple very much: product design, user friendly interface, reliability, outstanding customer service.

I guess I have two motives to build Hackintoshes, neither related to cost savings:
1. Ability to upgrade desktop with latest technology available. Apple could solve this with upgradable, possibly somewhat downsized, Mac Pro.
2. Intelectual challenge to get Mac OSX working on PC hardware. Even if Apple builds "mythical" midsize desktop, I would still need an "intellectual playground".

Hackintosh successes so far:
1. BFG NFORCE 680i + Quad Q6600 + nVidia GTS 8800 + L 10.5.5 (Experimental only)
2. Asus Rampage Formula + Q9650 + nVidia GTS 250 + SL 10.6.5 (Personal use - decommissioned)
3. Intel DX58SO + i7 920 + GTX 285 + SL 10.6.5 (Personal use - decommissioned)
4. Asus PQ-EM + Core Duo E7500 + nVidia nForce 9400 + L 10.5.7 (Built under my guidance)
5. Asus P5Q-E + Quad Q6600 + nVidia GTS 8800 + L 10.5.7 (Built under my guidance)
6. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 + i7 980X + Apple ATI Radeon 5870 + SL 10.6.5 (Current personal use)
7. Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3 + i7 920 + XFX ATI Radeon 5770 + SL 10.6.5 (Current personal use)

All of the above, except for the first one, built on RAID 0 HD / SSD setup.

Planning:
1. Snow Leopard or Lion Server on PC HW (TBD).
2. Developing Hack drivers - once I find a good (concise) primer how to setup development environment together with components build instructions.

I have owned:
Beige Power Mac G3
Blue and White PM G3
Sawtooth PM G4
Digital Audio PM G4
Quicksilver PM G4
Mirror Door PM G4
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33
Mac Mini C2D 1.86

Still own:
Macbook Core Duo (the first one)
Macbook Pro 13" 2010
Mac Mini 2010
Lenovo S10 Running OSX
Asus P5B Deluxe Running OSX
and Just built a GIGABYTE GA-G41M-ES2L Hackintosh in a Mac Pro case to replace the Mac Mini in the living room.
http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=9457
Mac Mini will be going on ebay soon.

My Laptop will always be 100% apple and from now on my desktop will be Hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back