Contribute
Register

DigiDal.kext - The bane of a Lion Pro Tools Workstation (For me)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Big Bang Xpower
CPU
i7-920
Graphics
GTX 480
This story starts quite a while back (Not really. It was more like 7 months ago.)

I had just gotten my Big Bang Xpower with an i7 and I'm looking to install lion on it and use it with Pro Tools. The installation goes fine, with graphics acceleration and everything. I install Pro Tools 8 and restart. Digidal.kext gives me a kernel panic and the only way I can boot in is with the kext deleted. I don't know why this happens and research gives me nothing. :(

Fast forward a little: Lion is okay with me, although there are a few things I don't like, but nonetheless I had to give it up for for a Snow Leopard installation. It turns out that Pro Tools works perfectly fine on SL, plus I have everything working anyways. So this is how it has been to this day.

Present day: My brother is getting married and he has enjoyed my workstation a lot (Played Max payne on full settings on Windows, Records lives sessions in Snow Leopard), so he bought components for me to install Mac for him to have his own workstation. I cannot get Snow Leopard to work on this one. I mean I can, but graphics just refuse to work. I try and try for two weeks, but no cigar.

I raised the white flag a couple of days back and installed Lion. Everything works out of the friggin' box. Both cards (GTX 460's) work fully (Full Acceleration on both + HDMI). Audio works and everything is fine and dandy.

Everything that is, except for... PRO TOOLS! Digidal.kext has returned to ruin my day and I need to know how to end this fight once and for all. My brother needs an audio Worksstation, not a Sortofworksstation. If he can't use Pro Tools, then that defeats the purpose of this setup.

Someone please tell me how to get it working.

As a side note, Pro Tools 8 would start up fine in Lion with Digidal.kext deleted, but when I hit the play button, I would get an "Assertion Error" which I think is attributed to the missing Digidal kext.

if you want a WORKstation, you simply get a Mac - WORKstations cost around the same amount of money. WORK means MONEY and RELIABLE TOOLS. Working with a hackintosh you PLAN for slight computer bumps.

My audio Hackintosh is a second machine that can be offloaded quickly on a real Ma if there's a need.

The DigiDal.kext is a well known problem for the Snolep hackintoshes and you'll find many reports. Well, I don't problems with PT9 and DigiDal.kext on
my hackintosh. I don't use HD cards, so I could be another related thing.

I can't rely on working with the internal soundcard for anything serious. Using it gets the audio engine overloading and having CPU usage spikes.

The "assertion error" could mean many things. If you don't write what kind of assertion error you get, you can't be helped much in this regard.

The "simple" answer is that DigiDAL is for HD cards only. If your not using HD just delete it. It is not the cause of any assertion errors.
The not-so-simple answer is that issues with DigiDAL and just about everything else pro-tools-on-hack related has been very well documented already so please use the freaking search button and settle down with some hot cocoa because you have a lot of reading to do. If you want something that just works without the reading and hacks buy a real mac and the high priced HDX card.
g\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back