Contribute
Register

dell xps 17 hackintosh?UPDATE!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll probably post a guide to how I got my system up soon. I was trying to get the sound working first, but that may take a while...

i had sound but there was a lot of crackling it sounded awful!no usb or net though and i dont think screen res was correct.also doesnt multibeast instal the usb3 renasas driver?and ethernet?

Oh well being the glutton for punishment i am i reinstalled last night .I booted osx disk with PCIRootUID=1 and install went fine however i installed combo update and ran multibeast and it wont start from hard disk.So I started with multibootand get a message saying something about sleep time being too long and use ForceWake=y .So I attempted to boot again bit nothing really wierd anyone think I would be better of using sandybridge standalone update instead and which options should i check in multibeast ?any recommendations?

jimbouk said:
cool let me know how you get on you've inspired me to have another go!

Hi i would like to know if is it posible to istall snow leopard on a dell xps 420

core2duo quad q6600 2.4 GHz

Chipset type Intel X38 Express

3gb ram

and i want ro use an external hard drive

thanks.

Teravian said:
Yup, "almost" done tweaking it. I have no USB 3.0 (but one 2.0 port is fine for now) and I need to get sound and ethernet working.

For the graphics, you have to turn Optimus off with a boot flag. If you press the down arrow in the boot menu, it pulls up a menu with a list of all the boot flags commonly used. I recommend just graphics enabler for now, but some of the others are useful too.

I also had to patch the DSDT to get USB to work, but since I am going back in to fix some other issues, I haven't posted it yet.

Could you tell me how to enable graphics and USB ? I can boot 10.6.8 from hard drive now but no audio, graphics or USB.

A million years later....

The USB fix I used stemmed from an error I got during boot (-v style) about AppleEHCI failing to load. There is a whole tutorial over on insanely mac about patching the DSDT to fix it... you just add in two IRQ lines in the HPET, so you should have IRQ{2}, {8}, {11} and {15}.
That did NOT fix my USB 3.0, but I did notice it was missing methods, and then promptly had to take a break from trying to fix it.

Sound worked fine with the Dell_XPS_ALC665.kext from vlad OVER THE HEADPHONES. The laptop I have has some really awesome JBL speakers that are 4 channel, so the tones are too long or short for the speakers, but just right for the 2 channel RCA jack.

Still haven't gotten QE/CI but it is on my list.

Have you guys made a tutorial yet ? (Would really like one if you has something ready)
I also just go a XPS 17 this week. And I would like to hackintosh it. I have hackintoshed a Gateway p6860 fx but the Motherboard died and well now I am a new owner of a XPS 17.

Some is in french: (Tried to translate as much as possible)
*Windows® 7 home Premium , 64 bit , Anglais
*Processeur Intel® Core™ i7-2720QM de 2nd génération at 2,20 GHz with technologie Turbo Boost for a extension up to 3,30 GHz
*Screen 44 cm(17.3 inch) HD+ WLED True-Life (1600x900) with webcam 2.0 méga pixels intégrée
*8 192 Mo (2 x 4 096) de mémoire bicanale DDR3 SDRAM à 1 333 MHz
*Double disque dur SATA de 1 To (2 x 500 Go, 7 200 tr/min)
*Lecteur DVD+/-RW 8X
* graphics card 3 Go NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 555M

Hey i also have a dell xps 17 and was wondering where you interact with the dsdt. file and also was wondering when you put in the commands from iboot to hiting enter and seeing the apple logo and the gear spin a video would help.
thanks
littleman345

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back