Graphics
EVGA GTX 680
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi guys I've been struggling with very little succes to get snow on my dell xps 420 and have recently aquired a lovely new xps17 laptop was wondering if this'll do the job
I72630qm
6gb ddr3 1333mhz
nvidia gt555m 3gb
2x500gb hard drives

tried iboot and getting a message saying i need to reboot after a small note in the top left corner of the screen say nvhelper error im assuming theres a problem with the graphics card?I was wondering if the fact that theres 3gb graphic memory is a problem as i removed the 4gb stick so there was only 2gb of system memory which = total of 5gb???????? or does graphics memory not matter anyone else got snow working on this without having to install from another mac?

many thanks a NOOB! :)

doh just read the laptop section and as it uses nvidia optimus tech it wont work unless someone knows otherwise?
any1 wanna buy a retail copy of snow leapoard? lol

Re: dell xps 17 hackintosh?UPDATE!!!!!!!

Well I siccesfully managed to install SL.ANyway I screwed up while i was setting up so I had to reinstall.Again I installed successfully restart insert i boot then I get the error
dcbtabe_version is 0x10
nVidia ROM patching failed!
then hangs on a black screen
When i first got it to work it had another error and the above but i left for about 10 mins and the computer setup started now it just seems to hang or restart on its own.
I've tried -x,-v,-v-xPCIRootUID=1 to no avail and i booted the install disk with PCIRootUID=1 which installs almost every time .Am i flogging a dead horse as the saying goes?
specs
sandybridge i7 @2ghz
6gb ram(2 for install)
gt555m 3gb
500gb hard drive

Thanks in advance!

Anyway got snow osx installed !!! Ran multi beast and latest update .No internet or usb though and unable to boot from hard drive :( Gonna give it a rest for a bit as been at it for days now had to boot from i boot and command GraphicsEnabler=0 as the l702x runs optimus oh well :) should have bought a mac?lol nah win7 does alll i want fro the time being and it would be nice as osx seems pretty slick but until i can get everything functioning right theres no point would be fun to play starcraft 2 through snow leapoard though !

The USB might be a bit more difficult to fix. If you boot in verbose (type -v) and you see something along the lines of "EHCI failed to initialize" scroll across the screen, you are going to have to patch your DSDT.

By the way, if you get tired of typing GraphicsEnabler=0, you can add it to your boot.plist in the Extras folder on your main HDD.

Just stick two lines in:
<key>GraphicsEnabler</key>
<string>No</string>

(No or 0. I have never tried a number personally...) :D

Now you know one reason why laptop hackintoshers are things we all try to avoid like the plague. Desktops, no worries, laptops, quick where is the gun.

I'm assuming you got the alienware working?How did you get round the optimus thing as my lappy probably has very similar specs to yours.

Yup, "almost" done tweaking it. I have no USB 3.0 (but one 2.0 port is fine for now) and I need to get sound and ethernet working.

For the graphics, you have to turn Optimus off with a boot flag. If you press the down arrow in the boot menu, it pulls up a menu with a list of all the boot flags commonly used. I recommend just graphics enabler for now, but some of the others are useful too.

I also had to patch the DSDT to get USB to work, but since I am going back in to fix some other issues, I haven't posted it yet.

cool let me know how you get on you've inspired me to have another go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back