Contribute
Register

Dell Studio XPS 1645

Status
Not open for further replies.
ellnic said:
Ah. I was trying GraphicsEnabler=yes

I used the Multibeast to add PCEFI 10.6 directly after using it to install 10.6.2 unsupported - I'm not entirely sure if it worked though, does PCEFI have your Apple logo on it? Or is this still Chameleon.... :\

-pci1 GraphicsEnabler=y hangs at DSMOS has arrived, but I could restart using Apple-Alt-Powerbutton (I have my old Blue and White G3 Keyboard plugged in and built in will not work for now).

-pci0 GraphicsEnabler=y goes black.

Hm.. I have just noticed that it says this: FakeSMC: key info not found MSDS, length 6. :think:

Should have worked to install PC-EFI 10.6. However, you may also need to add the 4670 device ID to ATI4600Controller- this kext is in /System/Library/Extensions. I attempted to do this with the attached kext. Try installing them all using Kext Helper b7. Then run Disk utilities in MultiBeast. Good luck!

Attachments

• ellnic.zip
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
That hadn't occurred to me - Thanks - I'm on it :)

This is proving to me that I clearly haven't read enough... :oops:

ellnic said:

netkas is the source for all the ATI knowledge- check out his site for PC-EFI 10.6 info, and some drivers for the 4xxx cards. :thumbup:

I've included a few of the packages in MultiBeast, but you'll have to test what works. ;)

ellnic said:

I think you're doing pretty well given the circumstances! You're blazing the trail! :thumbup: :D

Yeah man, keep plugging. You've done your research. You can't expect it to go smoothly your first time. I'm expecting this to take me at least a couple of days just because I'm a noob myself. YOU CAN DO IT!! :clap: :clap: :thumbup:

Thanks guys :)

Looks like the effort paid off. I am booting into 10.6.2 with the patched Kernel without -x and have graphics! This was done using the Kexts provided earlier. I have no CI/QE yet, so the card isn't fully functional but I'll get to that, I'm sure :)

I did the following to get to this point:

I installed 10.6.0 using the original P55 disk then put the following on the desktop:

(1). Mac OS X 10.6.2 Combo update
(2). Multibeast
(3). ellnic.zip

I unzipped the Kexts from (3) and opened (1) and (2). I installed the combo update, put the extensions in the respective folder, then selected the following in Multibeast:

a. PC EFI 10.6
b. unsupported com.apple.boot.plist
c. patched kernel (10.2.0)
d. all standard kexts
e. both utilities
f. disk utils to cleanup

After this had run I rebooted and voila! I removed -v from the boot.plist too.

I also have Wifi working with this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... opic=51725

I have sound working with VoodooHDA (used Multibeast for this later)

I have Ethernet 'sort of' working with this (although it's sporadic): http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... ntry963461

^ With this ^, Mac OS disables it at every boot because it's insecure? Will think more about this another time.

I have Bluetooth working with this: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index. ... pic=136515

I'm very pleased with this now. It's all coming together nicely. If Ethernet doesn't work it's not a big problem. Wifi works great. But it would be awesome if the whole chipset got working :D One thing that is pretty kewl is that the media buttons above the keyboard all 'just work'. If you push play, iTunes opens. If you use sound -/+ it works, and the Wifi power toggle button successfully turns the Bluetooth & Wifi off/on. Eject works too. Not all of these worked in safe mode. Built in keyboard/trackpad working great.

Next job will be the graphics. I tried using "Graphics Mode"="1920x1080x32" but it booted into a weird resolution of something like 1450x1050 and was really bad to look at. At the moment I am on 1024x768 - which is usable.

Ah, I still need to sort out Power management too as apparently I have no battery.(according to Mac OS, at least lol). I've put the RAM back in that I took out initially, so I have 8GB installed. If I don't use maxmem=4096, the system halts before it hits the desktop. How can I get round this [apart from removing it again]? Can I use all 8GB? It's safer stored in the machine than around my house somewhere :lol:

On that note though, it's late and I'm hitting the sack. :) Thanks for the kind works and help today everyone.

Hrm.. Final thing -

I pushed the tag rebuild button in Kext Utility (handy for permissions) earlier and wish I hadn't. Since then, when logging out / restarting / shutting down I get a blue screen with a tiny pink square on it and it hangs. I have to press and hold the power button :(

How do I untag the rebuild?

Success! Now the kinks- this will be the fun part!

Tag rebuild in Kext Helper b7 issues an ignore caches upon reboot- so when you reboot, it's like typing -f at Chameleon screen- it will ignore caches and rebuild them on the way in. ... Or something along those lines :p

Anyhow to try booting (I assume you can boot with the cd, but in case you were wondering), you can try typing -s at the Chameleon screen then entering single-user mode. Any disk repair can be done by typing fsck -fy. Then type exit to get to the desktop.

@ellnic I have been following this thread from the beginning, as I myself am considering purchasing the same laptop that you got. I actually have a macbookpro(3.1ver) but want a core i hackintosh laptop. In regards to the problem with the resolution when you put 1920x1080x32,in your bootplist or as a boot option. Maybe the problem has to do with the fact that real macbook pro screen resolutions are 16:10 ratio's where as 1920x1080 is a 16:9 ratio, therefore it try's to find the closest match. I am by no means an expert, but I have been around the block with desktop hackintoshes. I currently have a core i7 920 running snow kitty, based on a bestbuy asus g5290 off the shelf computer.(I could not have built one cheaper with better specs.) I also built an 8 core Xeon dual 5410 hackintosh based off a tyan S5376 server board. Have this macbook pro I am typing this on, and a mac mini. I am a 51 year old geek, that loves the challenge of getting the best for less. So, glad I found this forum, and let the hacking begin.

g4sho
:thumbup:

@tony: it boots fine from the HD - it's when the log out is initiated I hit the blue back drop but with a 'large pink pixel' and it hangs.

@g4sho: Interesting... I was looking here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Vecto ... dards2.svg

I could not find reference to 16:10 - so I looked here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacBook_Pro

Looks like it may be worth giving 1440 x 900 a go :D

With regards to the purchasing the same laptop.... it's a beautiful machine. Looks like it will get working too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back