Asus GTX 650 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hey guys,

I've finally managed to install OS X, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 on my system with grub2 as my bootloader! Now I have no problems having to reinstall each operating system individually so that's a big load off me.

I bought the 10.6.3 Retail CD and have been able to use the CD drive, usb ports, webcam (but laggy), brightness controls , keyboard, external mouse and the volume buttons show the volume dialog when pressed (though it doesn't do anything).

When I try to install the 10.6.7 update, followed by the EasyBeast and then reboot, I get stuck at the Apple splash screen and nothing continues.

I know other people have had the same problem as well, but I haven't been able to find a fix for it since my hardware is different from theirs.

Specs:
Dell Studio 1558
Core i7 720QM (1.6Ghz)
4 GB 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM
500GB (7200rpm) ATA Hard Drive
1GB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470

From what I found out, I shouldn't use EasyBeast because it has some Nvidia graphics driver preloaded in it (that's what I understand from it).

Can anyone recommend which kexts I should use as well?
I tried this http://www.kexts.com/view/1013-dell_stu ... _dsdt.html
but I get the same problem as well. I'm guessing it's due to the update then...

Help is always appreciated!

EDIT: I should also mention that I use Empire EFI to boot the OS X drive and I've tried Multibeast 3.4 and 3.6.

UPDATE: I reinstalled OS X again and this time, I didn't run the 10.6.7 Combo Update, only Multibeast. I selected options which I thought would be appropriate and after a restart I was able to get the sound to work with the latest Voodoo kext. I think it was 0.2.72.
Although on max volume it does get jittery, but it still works atleast! The volume buttons work for a few seconds before the volume gets pushed to zero automatically. After waiting a few seconds for the volume dialog to disappear you can change the volume back to normal from the indicator in the menu bar.

Graphics, wireless adapter and touchpad still not working.

I just tried installed EasyBeast over everything now and got a kernel panic, reinstalling now. ^.^

*bump*

Anyone care to pitch in?

on my dell studio 1558 (i7, 8gb ddr3 1333, 500gb, ati hd5470, i got everything working by some miracle,

first i partitioned my hdd into 3 partitions,
mac os 35gb ( i figured id never install that much) ,
330 DATA partition for all my work and backups,
and a 100gb ms-dos partition which i later formatted to ntfs, useful for ghosting ur perfectly working os to with norton ghost 15...,

booted in with a chameleon rc2 rev 650 boot disk,
ran retail install 10.6.3, skip printers and additional languages , rosetta (speeds up install) once complete reboot with chameleon r650 iso (no special flags needed), i can upload if you need i,

once booted in run 10.6.7combo update and multibeast 3.5.1 / 3.5.2. install update first but obviously do not restart, then once complete run multibeast, do not select easybeast

first select kabyl r748 bootloader, system utilities, kexts > miscellaneous select all except for fakesmcplugins, select system definitions macbook pro 8.1, once done restart but you may get a kp with booting , use -v and it'l boot in fine, something to do with the boot file in "/" next

i found the bcm43xx_enabler.sh file for wifi,works perfect, google it and find a filehost for it or ask nicely and il send you a link to my livespace where you can download all the essentials,

anyway run terminal >> sudo then drag the bcm43xx_enabler.sh into terminal
it'l prompt for password hit enter 3 or 4 times and job done reboot.

click airport wifi icon on taskbar and open network preferences, join network of choice.

audio i used voodoo hda before and got hdmi working, but its unstable and will give kps when opening sound preferences.

Graphics are supported under the early macbookpro 2011 update, thu i am as i write this having a fiddle at gettin i working so i will update asap. i also have a fully working 10.6.7 amd setup, amd chipset , hd5770 and phenom q9750, if you need any help pm me or send me an email

Wow, I'm really jealous and impressed! I wish I would have been able to get it to work as fast as you. You have no idea how many times I've reinstalled OS X with different configurations, either ending with a kernel panic or just stuck with boot screen.

I've been following the same installation format so I have no problem with that. It was generally the kexts that were the main problem.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I'll try looking for them first myself since it won't be fair for you to go through the effort of getting your configuration to work. I'll try to upload them to one file server so people with the same system can find in one place. If I can't find them myself, I'll surely ask. =)

UPDATE: I haven't been able to find Chameleon RC2 rev 650. I have been able to find a RC5 rev 650 and a RC2 rev 640. Would either one work or if you can, could you upload that specific version if you have the time?

I'll post back when I reinstall OS X and download these versions.

P.S: I noticed in your System specs that you're using the A11 bios update. If you had overheating issues like me, I really think you should update your system then. Otherwise don't bother. =)

Thanks again!

it has been hot mind, il give the bios update a shot, update, kabyls bootloader gave me a few gripes, so im now using the chameleon r760 loader (without graphics support), its included in the latest multibeast 3.6.0.
is working nice, no kps and with graphics enabler=yes my card is detected and running 1366x768 but no qe/ci as of yet,

card shows as
ATI Radeon HD 5000:
Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5000
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68e0
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318
Displays:
Display:
Resolution: 1366 x 768
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:
Display Connector:

did you get the volume issue sorted by changing bios multimedia key functions...

Hi lifelike27,

Can you tell us how you installed and configured grub2? I'm having serious troubles with the chameleon bootloader because my HDD is "advanced format", and so, I get the boot0:error every time I try to boot from chameleon. I think booting from grub2 would solve my problems.

Cheers

lifelike27 said:
Hey guys,

I've finally managed to install OS X, Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04 on my system with grub2 as my bootloader! Now I have no problems having to reinstall each operating system individually so that's a big load off me.

dertachyon said:
Hi lifelike27,

Can you tell us how you installed and configured grub2? I'm having serious troubles with the chameleon bootloader because my HDD is "advanced format", and so, I get the boot0:error every time I try to boot from chameleon. I think booting from grub2 would solve my problems.

Cheers

Hey do you want the same triple boot partition? The guide I followed is here.

Though I have to mention, in the guide, the author starts talking about using a program called 'gptsync', DO NOT USE IT. It's outdated and there is a better way of solving it if you follow my thread concerning this very problem and how it was fixed using 'gdisk'.

The thread can be found here. Please read the entire thread!

lifelike27 said:
Though I have to mention, in the guide, the author starts talking about using a program called 'gptsync', DO NOT USE IT. It's outdated and there is a better way of solving it if you follow my thread concerning this very problem and how it was fixed using 'gdisk'.
/showthread.php?t=1758411]here[/url]. Please read the entire thread!

Thanks a lot! Right now I'm following the instructions. I was thinking about using gptdisk, but I will followe your advice and use gdisk instead.
Were you able to boot SL from the grub2 menu and also load the proper kexts?

Cheers,
Tachyon

dertachyon said:
Were you able to boot SL from the grub2 menu and also load the proper kexts?
Well, my main objective was to get Windows, Ubuntu and OS X boot through the same bootloader. While trying it out, Windows wouldn't boot. Currently, I'm using EmpireEFI (1.085) to boot into my OS X parition.

Now, grub2 recognizes all operating systems. Unfortunately for me, OS X doesn't boot directly from grub2, so I have to install chameleon and chainboot grub2 to chameleon to get OS X to boot. I haven't been able to do this yet and the only reason is because I haven't had the time to finish it.
Right now, I haven't been able to get all of my hardware to work so I'm constantly reinstalling OS X. I've left the chainbooting as a low priority for me.
If you need to, I'm sure you'll be able to find out how to edit grub to get it to work somewhere else on this forum.

However, I found out that isn't a problem for everyone, so you might not have this problem and be able to boot directly from grub2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back