Contribute
Register

Dell Precision T5600

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Precision T5600 with board 0GN6JF (A15 BIOS)
CPU
Intel Xeon E5-2620 @ 2.00GHz (Dual CPU)
Graphics
XFX GeForce 7600 GS_
Hi,

This Dell Precision T5600 has:
Two E5-2620 CPUs (Xeon 2.0GHz 6 cores each)
8GB (4x2) DDR3 ECC RAM
Samsung Evo 500GB SSD
Nvidia 7600GT video card for now (Gigabyte 960 waiting on power cable)
USB 3

Clover USB (High Sierra) is booting as legacy boot but I'm having trouble getting past the apple logo with progress bar (no progress).

Various Clover options have resulted in a crossed circle or in verbose mode I've got as far as "does printf work??" or PCI configuration but always ends in a freeze.

I've read all sorts of procedures and build docs but may still be misunderstanding how to boot clover correctly with verbose option, without cache and kexts selected under clover options. plists and dsdt I've not touched yet and not sure how to. A boot to install screen would for now would be encouraging.

Note! Mavericks Clover USB installer results in a working install of Mac OS Mavericks on SSD. Hardware recognised as Mac Pro 3,1.

Do I need to fall back to and older Mac OS release for this hardware?

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited:
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you

Various Clover options have resulted in a crossed circle or in verbose mode I've got as far as "does printf work??" or PCI configuration but always ends in a freeze.
Boot in verbose mode and post a picture of the screen when it stops.

Note! Mavericks Clover USB installer results in a working install of Mac OS Mavericks on SSD. Hardware recognised as Mac Pro 3,1.
MacPro3,1 fails to meet the minimum spec required for Sierra.

Boot in verbose mode and post a picture of the screen when it stops.

MacPro3,1 fails to meet the minimum spec required for Sierra.

Thanks for the move to the correct forum. Understood for future posts.

Hardware details added to profile to help others help me.

I have dropped back to El Capitan and am testing now. Will post a screen shot next.

Regarding your comment about MacPro3,1 failing to meet minimum spec, this is the model that showed in about this Mac when booted on Mavericks.

Q1. Is this model number the result of hardware inspection/discovery or hard-coded as part of mavericks?

Q2. Should I base my Mac OS version and options on this number or change the model number in clover

Q3. Do I simply change the model number to MacPro5,1 in Clover to provide compatibility with all Mac OS releases as per this table: https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

thanks

Thanks for the move to the correct forum. Understood for future posts.

Hardware details added to profile to help others help me.

I have dropped back to El Capitan and am testing now. Will post a screen shot next.

Regarding your comment about MacPro3,1 failing to meet minimum spec, this is the model that showed in about this Mac when booted on Mavericks.

Q1. Is this model number the result of hardware inspection/discovery or hard-coded as part of mavericks?

Q2. Should I base my Mac OS version and options on this number or change the model number in clover

Q3. Do I simply change the model number to MacPro5,1 in Clover to provide compatibility with all Mac OS releases as per this table: https://eshop.macsales.com/guides/Mac_OS_X_Compatibility

thanks

(1) Not hard coded, of course. Think about it : Mavericks ran on many kinds of real Macs, including Macbook Pro / Macbook Air / Mac mini etc. So how can it be hard coded?

(1) Not hard coded, of course. Think about it : Mavericks ran on many kinds of real Macs, including Macbook Pro / Macbook Air / Mac mini etc. So how can it be hard coded?

Thanks for your reply, that makes sense of course.

So if my hardware is being detected as MacPro3,1 then Mavericks will work (as it did) and High Sierra will not (as it didn't - slashed circle).

Q1. How do I know what hardware component is causing the MacPro3,1 detection?

CPU - Intel Xeon E5-2620 @ 2.00GHz (Dual CPU)
Memory - 4x2GB 10600 ECC
Motherboard - Dell Precision T5600, 0GN6JF (A15 BIOS)
Storage - Samsung Evo 850 500GB
Video - XFX GeForce 7600 GS_

Q2. If this hardware truly isn't up to it am I then restricted to El Capitan OS X 10.11.x as per the link the link I provided?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back