Contribute
Register

DBP's "lammergeier": i7-3770K / GA-Z77X-UP5-TH : photography beast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, a bit of a "thwack" on the forehead over this one for not catching it earlier...

The fans on my NH-D14 are voltage-controlled (as are the case fans), and the fan control in the BIOS was set to "Auto". Specifically set it to "Voltage" and suddenly it does the right thing. The CPU fans now idle around the 450 rpm mark, and ramp up to ~1200 rpm under load instead of staying at ~1300 all the time. Before they were quiet (although with a steady hum). Now it's really quiet. I seem to lose out on a couple of degrees of cooling performance, but it's all still well within my tolerance.

I tuned the case fans a bit in hardware at the same time (swapped some of the 50-ohm adapters for 80-ohm ones), and now the front fans run at 700 and 900 rpm (different for some reason even with the same adapters), the fan on the bottom of the case is running at 890, and the extractor fan at the rear is running at 740 rpm. I think I'm happy with those. Certainly making the CPU fan slow down made the biggest difference to the noise of the machine (which actually might give you an idea of how quiet it is overall to start with, as it's in behind the noise-cancelling foam).

I don't need to have a gale whistling through the case, this is all about having a quiet and gentle breeze flowing through: across the disks and motherboard radiators and through the NH-D14.

Interesting to see that there's still an appreciable amount of fine dust that gets inside the machine despite the cases' filters (which do manage to stop a lot, but...). I think in the monthly overhaul (cleaning external filters, etc) I will also be popping the side of the case and checking how much dust has accumulated on the fans and NH-D14 heatsink.

Which system definition did you end up going with? I'm reading stuff about the audio popping on some defs. I've also seen basically the same config with both iMac and Mac pro system defs

Thanks

I just put mine together today. Same basic build as yours.

2 issues.

One is that when it boots the screen goes black until i power cycle the monitor. I'm running TB to displayport. Not really a huge deal compared to this

Installs fine from unibeast. Get to my desktop and download mulitbeast. I set it up just like yours and when it reboots I have no internet. I get an IP address from my router and can see other network devices. Just no internet

Any ideas??

Thanks for all your help so far.

I got the internet working. I changed to profile to an iMac. I suspect that maybe the TB was causing issues because the Mac Pros don't have thunderbolt. I don't know why that would make a difference but it seemed to.

Now I have the popping audio problem as a result of the iMac profile. Guess I will just have to live with it.

The screen still needs to be power cycled however.

Thanks again

One is that when it boots the screen goes black until i power cycle the monitor. I'm running TB to displayport.
Sorry, nothing springs to mind.

when it reboots I have no internet. I get an IP address from my router and can see other network devices. Just no internet
That doesn't sound like it's a local thing at all, but more that it hasn't got a default route to the internet. In the network preferences has it picked up a Default Router and a DNS server (probably both pointing to your router) as well as an IP address? Without either of those you'll have trouble reaching the world.

Be aware that any time you change your system definition you'll end up with a different serial number, and some software may think it's not the same machine (Adobe licensing, AppleID authentication, etc). Just something to be aware of so you don't get any nasty surprises.

Sorry, nothing springs to mind.

That doesn't sound like it's a local thing at all, but more that it hasn't got a default route to the internet. In the network preferences has it picked up a Default Router and a DNS server (probably both pointing to your router) as well as an IP address? Without either of those you'll have trouble reaching the world.

I looked like did. I even went manual and assigned an IP and entered the router and DNS straight from the settings from my MBP (yes a different IP). Nothing would work. Maybe I was frustrated and over looked something. If I go back into MB 5.2.1 and change the profile will I have to reinstall ML? It only takes about 10-15 minutes or so so its not a huge deal.

If I install ML and then do a time machine backup can I restore that from the multibeast boot stick? That might be an option to install one with Mac Pro 3,1 and imac 13,1 and mess around til I get it working and save time . Any thoughts on that?

Thanks agin very much. Couldnt have gotten half this far with out the help

If I go back into MB 5.2.1 and change the profile will I have to reinstall ML?
No, you shouldn't have to. If changing the system definition I take a backup copy of /Extra/smbios.plist so I know what serial number/etc I was using in case I need to go back to it.
Re-run MB, reboot, and cross your fingers. :)

I find a backup clone of the root filesystem very useful here, as MultiBeast (or I) have screwed up the settings more than once and caused problems booting.

If I install ML and then do a time machine backup can I restore that from the multibeast boot stick? That might be an option to install one with Mac Pro 3,1 and imac 13,1 and mess around til I get it working and save time . Any thoughts on that?
Certainly worth trying out early in the life of the system (so if it doesn't work and you need to re-install you're not losing much). Certainly a Time Machine restore won't re-install the Chimera boot blocks for you.
On my CustoMacs I combine cloning the boot filesystem with Time Machine so I know I can get the machine back.

But to switch system definitions I think restoring /Extra is the key.
Have backups called /Extra.iMac and /Extra.MacPro ?

I find a backup clone of the root filesystem very useful here, as MultiBeast (or I) have screwed up the settings more than once and caused problems booting.

Certainly worth trying out early in the life of the system (so if it doesn't work and you need to re-install you're not losing much). Certainly a Time Machine restore won't re-install the Chimera boot blocks for you.
On my CustoMacs I combine cloning the boot filesystem with Time Machine so I know I can get the machine back.

But to switch system definitions I think restoring /Extra is the key.
Have backups called /Extra.iMac and /Extra.MacPro ?

See that's where I need to do my homework. You say Chimera boot block and I'm lost. I will figure that out and see how that works. The TM backup just finished so I will figure out how and where to clone the boot file system to and play with the system defs.

But like you said I'm onlyless then a day into the system so no serious harm if it all gets boogered up. I'm a part time photographer and all my work is backed up to a separate volume stored away.

Updates will follow......

Changed to Mac Pro 3,1 and all is well. It got rid of the audio pop and now my internet is working which is wasn't when I did 3,1 first.

Now to figure out why I need to power cycle the monitor to get the thing working after the grey apple boot screen

THANKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back