i7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580 8 GB
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hello, I'm new to this forum so nice to meet you all.

I'm building a CustoMac mATX based on the recommended buyer's guide here. However, I made a mistake and bought the Z170MX Gaming 5 rather than the newer Z270MX version.

I was wondering if I should bother trying to return the MOBO that I bought and get the newer one or it doesn't matter much in terms of performance? I spent quite a bit of $$ so I don't want to feel like I'm building something that is already old.

Also, I tried to boot the machine yesterday but the MOBO shuts down after a few seconds and it then restarts. This loop doesn't stop unless I switch off the PSU.

I'm not sure if this issue is due to the fact that the Z170MX is not compatible with the i7 CPU out-of-the-box unless I update the BIOS. However, without starting the machine I'm not even able to check what version of the BIOS I have.

So far I've attempted to start the machine with one slot of RAM only without any SATA and video card connected but the issue is still there.

Can anyone kindly help me to figure out if it's worth replacing the motherboard with the newer one and, if not, what's the best way to access/update the BIOS.

Thanks ;)

Yes, exchange it for the newer Z270 version. It's best to use the Z270 chipset with your Kaby Lake i7. Should work OOB. No BIOS flashing needed.

Hi @trs96, thanks for your advice. The Z270-MX is sold out everywhere so I ended up getting the Asus ROG STRIX Z270G. Hopefully I made the right choice :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back