Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 4095 MB
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi guys, Im looking into moving away from mac osx in vmware in windows 7 to having a dual booting desktop.
I find the vmware to be too much of a pain to work with, and updating it is causing me too much grief.

So, I have the following components in my machine.

motherboard: asustek p7h55d-M EVO (lga1156)
cpu: core i5 750
graphics: ati radeon hd 5770
ram: 16gb ddr3
hdds: 1 x 500 gb sata 6gb/s drive (w7 installed on this)
2 x 2tb's raid array

I need a stable updated version of osx asap for app development for college projects, and I need some advice.

Question 1:
Would i be able to hackintosh the above specs or will i need to replace any hardware?

Question 2:
I live in ireland, and its hard to find a bricks and mortar shop that sells mac osx. Can i download it and burn to a disk or usb etc or would i be best to order it?

any help, info, suggestions, etc would be more than appreciated!

royalmarine said:
Question 1:
Would i be able to hackintosh the above specs or will i need to replace any hardware?

Probably, check the DSDT Database for your mobo and BIOS version. The DSDT Database is located in the pull-down Resources menu at the page. If there is one for your board, you'll be OK. If not, life is harder. Also search the User Builds forum section for your mobo. Your graphics card should be OK, but you didn't list a make/model so that's why I say "should be OK."

royalmarine said:
Question 2:
I live in Ireland, and its hard to find a bricks and mortar shop that sells mac osx. Can i download it and burn to a disk or usb etc or would i be best to order it?
Did you read the FAQs as part of your registration requirement? If you had, you would have seen this forum only deals with purchased retail Apple Snow Leopard DVD installation. Downloaded versions are pirate distros. Discussions about distros are not tolerated on the Forum. Buy the retail version for $30 USD via mail order over the web or from the Apple web store:
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTM3NDgwNzM

Hi stork, thanks for the info regarding question 1.

regading question 2, Im not using a pirated version, I was hoping I could purchase os x from apple and download the .dmg / iso file etc and burn to a disk.
But i think it might be easier to just order it from apple and get it delivered.

You can always purchase Lion from the App Store (doesn't need to be your computer) and use that dmg for your install.

If you have an Apple Store nearby ask them about maybe ordering Lion OR ask about the possibility of setting up an App Store account at their store for your convenience, maybe they do it. (Make up a story that your own mac is too old for Snow and the App Store. Who knows.)

By the way rumor goes that people don't get shot for first using a downloaded image and then purchasing their own copy afterwards, but that's just as how this rumor goes.

You're from Ire? My modded G4 casing was made there. As well as my favorite drink. :3

Regarding your config it all looks cool. The 5770 is supported OOB, only a few people have random problems with some cards, but these are random. It's one of the best supported ones. Not sure about the board. Check the DSDT database and/or Google for the model and hackintosh, at least that's what I would do. However, you don't need a DSDT to install Lion yourself, only to install and configure all the boards features afterwards.

Hope that helps a bit, mate. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back