Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I recently just built my first computer ever and all seems to be going well thus far. I am just a bit worried that the machine is running too hot and wanted to get an outside opinion.

I'm running Temperature Monitor and Hardware monitor.

Temperature Monitor's readings: Core1/2/3/4 are 48/50/48/46.
Hardware Monitor's readings: 49/48/46/48.
Both fluctuate and both show a smart disk temperature of 30. These readings are being done while I have Safari open and something downloading. That's all.

Also, I checked the BIOS last night and it seemed that the CPU temperature was hanging pretty consistently at 49c. Is this too high?

I also monitored while playing a game last night and both temp/hardware monitors had the cores between 60-69, never actually hitting 70 but I was playing for no more than 20 minutes.

The heatsink and fan are stock and when building I removed the thermal paste that came on and applied Arctic Silver Alumina (Ceramic polsysnthetic). Maybe I didn't put enough? There is definitely not too much, but I did a bit of reading/video watching before applying and feel pretty confident that I did it correctly.

Anyway, if anyone has any feedback I'd really appreciate it. I'm just a bit worried that this machine is running too hot and I don't want to damage anything.

since you are running quadcore, you can test the full LOAD running all 4 cores and see what is the maximum temperature if all 4 are running.
Open new terminal for each CORE you want to test...in your case, 4 terminal screens.

Open Terminal
Enter: yes > /dev/null
Press Enter

If they are around 70-75C, then you are reaching the upper threshold and consider a good aftermarket cooler...either Air or Hydro.

I was wondering what normal temps/high temps are too.

Maybe someone can make a general sticky for this information.

The temperatures of the 4 cores in my i5-750 range between 47 and 51 degrees right now.

I am reaching a max of 64 with the 2600k with a noctua nhd14. Thats with an ambient temp of 27°C. When the temps were better 19°C ambient temps were 57°C high. That's with a 4.2 oc. If you are running stock then you should have no problem with the fan you have but if you are serious about temps or want to oc then you'll need to get a better cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back