Graphics
GTX 460
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Is it possible to change thermal zones via dsdt hack or maybe even bios patch? This mobo bios doesn't have a control for that. I have a non-stock cooler which could run 4 times slower with acceptable temperatures(I use EasyTune in Windows to reduce it to 10% on idle). It runs at almost full-speed under slightest load in os x which is really noisy.

What kind of cooler do you have? There are PWM and voltage fan modes that might work depending on which cooler you have. Also, might I suggest a Corsair H50 as they're ver quiet! :)

I have Coolermaster n620, which is very quiet in Windows thanks to EasyTune. Both PWM and Voltage modes rev it up more than needed.

Mine sits around 1600-1700 rpm with the BIOS fan control. Though it's dead quiet, given the size of the fan, I would think it can go down to 800rpm with no temperature rise.

I agree that it would be nice to have a way to throttle the cpu fan at a finer level. Some other motherboards I've used in the past allowed you to set the voltages and threshold temperatures at the BIOS, making it work in all OSs.

You can always buy/find an inline variable controller to drop the voltage further than the BIOS if noise is a concern... Just be careful to not overdo it.

wlp5 said:
You can always buy/find an inline variable controller to drop the voltage further than the BIOS if noise is a concern... Just be careful to not overdo it.

This or buy 2 quieter 120mm fans to replace those.

Wow, just looked at your cooler. It seems to me this cooler was built for maximum airflow and noise isn't a concern. In any case, 120mm can push alot of air at low voltages. If you don't want to replace them, like I said, find an inline adjuster. By past experience, and the fact you have two of those pushing air, 600-700rpm would be high enough to keep air flowing but do play around and monitor your temps when you do it.

Yea, for now I put a 56-ohm resistor. One of the fans won't start at all without help, the other is moving at 700-800rpms. 30-minute burn in test in OCCT heats up my a bit overclocked(fsb 166, multiplier 18, 3ghz total, qpi@6ghz) i5-750 to 72C, which is pretty good, but I still don't like the fact that one of the fans is stopped. I'm looking for a smaller resistor now, and will just probably buy a single rheobus, if there's no other way.

PS: Yea, the cooler is huge. It almost touches my videocard in the first pci-e slot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back