Contribute
Register

Could a failing HD (add-on, not OSX 10.6.8 installed) cause beach ball hangs across multiple program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Mac OS X 10.6.8
CPU
3.09 GHz Intel Core i3 2100
Graphics
GIGABYTE Radeon HD 6670 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16
Mac
  1. MacBook
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
To preface this, I've done a bunch of reading on the forums looking for a similar situation. Like a good hackintosher, I was taking exact notes of everything about my system in a file that I was going to upload and link to so people could see the log files from Console while this was happening, crash reports, etc. But I thought I would ask a quick question first, then go back to all-out prep if that doesn't work.

The general problem is that in many programs when I use the "save as" or "open with" function sometimes I get a beach ball hang. It happens in firefox, chrome, finder, et al, but not all of the time. It's not consistent. When I try to re-open these programs after force-quitting them, they won't re-open. Firefox says there's already a copy open. Chrome is silent. Finder says nothing because even an apple script I found online to open finder back up won't open it back up.

In disk utility I can see that one of the old HD's I stuck in there to backup my main drives via CCC is physically failing.

So my hypothesis is that anytime I access a part of OSX where it tries to read everything in finder, or tries to see all of my drives, it hits my failing one, something happens, and it hangs.

If I unmount, delete, or physically remove that drive (no big deal, since it's just full of clones of other drives), could that conceivably solve my problem?

If not, I will continue on the exhaustive route.

Advice / tips appreciated.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-09-26 at 3.28.14 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-09-26 at 3.28.14 PM.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 164
I have the same finder issues, but don't have a failing hard disk, but very interested if you find a solution, so will be tracking this thread and wish you the best of luck :)

Well, I finally got around to opening the case and unplugging the sata and power connectors to one of the 6 or 7 drives I threw in my hackintosh. This particular drive was a WD 320 GB that I used to replace the 2008 160 GB drive that came with my macbook. Only tested it for a few minutes now, but i can explore all through finder, save as, browse for pics to upload--all things I couldn't do before when I would get the beach ball hang. Maybe that is only very narrowly applicable to my situation, but it seems to have worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back