Contribute
Register

Contrary to hackintoshing, laptops.

What is your opinion on Apple's laptops?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Whoever posted the 'Hackintosh Only!' vote, please tell us why!

Tom

Typing this on a 2009 17" MacBook Pro.
As I sell windows computers, and support windows and Macintosh, one of my favorite comments in some information and reviews about windows laptops is it is like a PC version of an Apple MacBook! :lol:

I have run both Leopard and Snow Leopard on my ageing Dell M1530 and will probably finish the battle with Lion :) But I am buying a MBA come September when I am in the US (pricing in Australia is just stupid), I'll also be buying my wife one as well as her ageing Toshiba is on its last legs with Windows 7.

While the M1530 does well, it is by no means perfect, and after running Snow Leopard on the desktop (in profile) and seeing how well it can run, with the magic trackpad and all, it is just annoying moving back to the M1530. So Apple here I come. Desktops will stay as hacks at the moment as they work well, they are stable and they are upgradeable!

I would certainly not spend a lot of money on a non-Apple laptop.

However, it's hard to argue against a <$300 netbook with OSX as a grab'n'go machine you can take places and abuse in ways where you'd think twice about it with a $2000 MBP.

Sadly, such times are drawing to an end as cheap GMA950/ION netbooks dwindle.
On the other hand, there's this for only $170 :)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834246159

P.S. So yeah, you can get stuff at say $500 that could be nice, but that's moving close to the real (refurb) thing!

Im a desktop user. I work in front of my computer for many hours a day, So I need a very confortable and powerful setup. Notebooks simply don't cut it in my case, so I only use notebooks when I'm travelling or when Im visiting a client.

In my case, I dont need a notebook with a powerful configuration, so any mac notebook would do. I think the prices for the mac notebooks are not that different from other simple notebooks.

I understand if you use a notebook as your main computer you may need to buy a better notebook, with bigger screen, bluray drive, better graphics... So a hackintosh would be needed for using OSX.

I don't want to mess with an unstable system for my job's laptop.
I like an hack for job, but only on a choosen desktop hardware.

Apple's laptops are simply great machines. With the current generation MBA on the plate... this statement goes doubly so. Refurbs go for under a grand, and they're very, very fast for normal day-to-day stuff... not to mention the form factor and silly good build quality.

That said, there's one segment where I think a hackintosh laptop makes sense: Netbooks.

I have a hack Eee 1005HA, running 10.6.X, for my developing world travel/photo backup needs. Reason: It's plastic, silly cheap, and kinda ugly. If it gets stolen/broken, I'm not out a grand. It doesn't attract the attention a MBA would. It's taken quite a beating, and keeps running. But it's slow... perfect as a backup device with a 500GB HDD for being on the road for a few weeks.

I'm definitely eyeing a new MBA sometime in the next refresh cycle for all other laptop related duties!

i don't really like hackintosh laptops but if u are that desperate to get apple software on a laptop then that is one thing u could do

I used to think Apple made great laptops....in 2000. Everything that came after the Pismo Powerbook --which I still own and run linux on--has been not as good.

I think a laptop--especially one that commands a high price--should be room temp. and dead silent, even under heavy CPU load and be easy to open. All the svelteness in the world doesn't help if your laptop overheats, has loud fans, and there is nothing you can do about it without 6 different funny screw drivers and a crowbar.

In recent years, I have become highly skeptical of name brand laptops: Lenovo, ThinkPads, IdeaPads, MacBooks (pro) really don't seem all that special to me anymore. It's all just marketing flummery, shameless rebranding, and case frills. Especially when you open up a no-name laptop and the motherboard/CPU/GPU/heatsink look to be the same as in a name brand one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back