Contribute
Register

Connect Hackintosh and MBP via Ethernet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z87-HD3
CPU
i5-4670
Graphics
Intel 4600
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I'm having a bit of trouble with getting the hackintosh (just built) to communicate with my Mid-2010 Macbook Pro when connected directly to one another via ethernet. Both support gigabit and the Mac definitely supports Auto-mdix. I've tried to set manual ips, set the mac as the router, and even tried just pings when in dhcp using the self-assigned Ips (169.xxx.xxx.xxx).

Both systems see that a cable is connected but the pings don't reach one another. Lights on the hackintosh come on when plugged in, which I believe is a sign that the auto-mdix is working properly, on the mac at least. I read that as long as one machine supports it and configures properly, then it should work.

Any ideas on this?

I would set them to static addresses like the first to 192.168.2.10 and the second to 192.168.2.11 and both use a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0

Should be able to leave the DNS and router fields blank. If it demands a router address, just put in 192.168.2.1

Picked those addresses as they are unlikely to conflict with any router defaults. If it works, then it is possible the self assigned addresses weren't in the same subnet.

No dice. I wonder if it's a possible fault with the driver for the Realtek ethernet. Unfortunately, I don't have a windows installation on this machine to test if it's the os causing the problem.

No dice. I wonder if it's a possible fault with the driver for the Realtek ethernet. Unfortunately, I don't have a windows installation on this machine to test if it's the os causing the problem.

They both work set to dhcp and connected to a router?

Sure do. Had a bit of trouble getting the hackintosh to get a dhcp address. Rebooted after reinstalling the kext and it was fine. The two machines talked to each other then.

Not sure what's going on here. Even setting both to 1000baseT has no effect.

Set one of the macs to share the internet connection - easiest to tell the mbp to share the connection from airport via ethernet (doesnt matter if you don't have a wifi signal, all you are doing is telling the mbp to set itself up as a dchp server)
So, in sys prefs, go to the sharing prefs pane, and click on the 'internet sharing' tick box, having first made sure that "share your connection from:" has wi-fi as the drop down menu selection.
It will ask you ever so politely if you really want to to this, and that's it. You'll now see the other mac in each others finder sidebar.
Cheers

That didn't work either. The Mbp says "Link is Up" in console when I plug it in. It seems like it should work but it doesn't. I tried it with my girlfriend's macbook (as in sharing the mbp internet with the mb) and after setting manual ip settings, it worked.

Something on the hackintosh is fubar.

Same problem - solved by inserting a gb desktop switch between them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back