Classic Mac
  1. Centris
  2. Power Mac
  3. PowerBook
  4. Quadra
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Forgive a noob... I spent the morning researching but am getting no where

I'm trying to install Lion but can't get passed the message "This version of OS X 10.7 can't be installed on your computer".

My machine is 'correctly' described as MacPro3,1

I'm running 10.6.8 and have it installed on 2 partitions, one of which I want to update to Lion (also have 10.5 on another partition).

I'm guessing that my problem is related to 1 or both of the following

1. My CPU is being identified as 'unknown' (it is Core 2 Duo E7200 2.53GHz 4GB)
2. I'm using Chameleon RC4 on EFI partition and not Chimera because I'm not sure if I can install simply by replacing the 'boot' file as installers don't recognise the EFI partition.

Also, I've tried creating a USB boot disk by restoring "Mac OS X Install ESD.dmg" to drive but the drive won't boot. I tried putting both Chimera and Chameleon on it, but neither work.

Help, comments, suggestions welcome

I think it's #2. I had this problem and it seems to have gone away after I switched to Chimera. I followed the advice here.

If you don't want to switch to Chimera you might be able to install it on a flash drive and have to boot the hard drive (boot-uuid=[your_hdd's_uuid]).

uPaymeiFixit said:
I think it's #2. I had this problem and it seems to have gone away after I switched to Chimera. I followed the advice here.

If you don't want to switch to Chimera you might be able to install it on a flash drive and have to boot the hard drive (boot-uuid=[your_hdd's_uuid]).

Thanks for the info. I'm happy to change to Chimera, but am not sure how to install it on an EFI partition. Last time I tried to do something I wasn't certain about, I buggered my system completely and it took days to recover it.

Can anyone help with installing Chimera on EFI? Is it just copying the 'boot' file and repairing permissions?

slatbh said:
Thanks for the info. I'm happy to change to Chimera, but am not sure how to install it on an EFI partition. Last time I tried to do something I wasn't certain about, I buggered my system completely and it took days to recover it.

Can anyone help with installing Chimera on EFI? Is it just copying the 'boot' file and repairing permissions?

I haven't read it but this might help: http://tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=169&t=26475

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back