Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I upgraded from Snow Leopard two days ago, and ran into a few issues with the upgrade so I had to do a clean install of Lion, and since then my computer has been incredibly slow, even VLC struggles playing an divx/xvid file. And it's choppy when switching workspaces
Has anyone had any similar issues?

It's on an i7 870 with a p7-p55de-pro, 8gb ram
It was working perfectly when I was using snow leopard, the only reason I upgraded was to get icloud :(

karacho said:
Which Enabler kext for your GFX you have had installed on Snow Leo and which on Lion?
I honestly don't remember which one I used for Snow Leopard because I built it in 2010, but I do remember my Snow Leopard install was hassle free as I picked components that were all native to OS X

I didn't use any graphics enabler kext for the lion install, it worked fine and comes up with the correct monitor and graphics card and at 1920x1200

The EN8400GS is listed as working fine without any kexts, should I have had to install something?

It is highly likely that what you're experiencing is simply OS X Lion being OS X Lion.

My dad has a Unibody MBP (the first gen) and they also had the 8400M, and it runs like a nightmare in Lion. It simply isn't fast enough. It lags and glitches around on nearly every animation and video playback is hopelessly slow; and he wanted to do video editing! He had to give up and buy a new one.

10.7.3 has better drivers, but it still isn't quite good enough as far as I've heard.

Wow, that sucks :(
So Lion is really that much more intensive on the video card than Snow Leopard?

What's a better card I can use that will just 'plug and play' without having to mess around with kernel extensions?

I use a Radeon HD5850 and that works, but really any ATi card I can think of will work except the new HD7xxx series. (It will probably work in a couple of months I suspect)

Take a look at the HD6870.

Could it be an issue that was caused by migrating all my information from my snow leopard install? Could it have migrated the wrong drivers or kexts which is causing it to run slow?

I want to go buy a new video card tomorrow, but I'm just worried that it won't fix the problem.

I might do a completely clean re-install of snow leopard and 10.7.3 and see if it's still slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back