sapphire 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi,

I'm a total noob and this will be my first build. I'm aiming for a bit of gaming in the future. I got an old G5 tower which will house the system eventually but i just wanted to keep it simple and cheap for a first build hence the £12 case.

I have a snow leopard full install dvd, a sata 2 hdd, mac wired and wireless keyboards and a wireless mighty mouse (both bluetooth).

I have sl 10.6.8 running on my brothers old macbook (coreduo) and windows 7 running on my dell studio laptop. Can I install my new build with lion rather than sl + lion update, is this viable? I can't burn dvds on my macbook but could set up a sl vm on my dell which can.

Will I need a microsoft keyboard for install? I suppose I will have to buy a wired mouse?

Should the hd3000 graphics be recognised on the mobo dsdt straight away? Can't find too many hackintoshes with this mobo but it was on the recommended builds section.

Do I need better cooling? I could always upgrade it when i move the board in to my old g5 tower.

Have i forgotten or missed anything? Any advice would be appreciated.

Shopping list:

Sony AD-7280S-0B 24x DVD±R, 12xDVD±DL, DVD+RW x8/-RWx6 ,12xRAM SATA, Black, OEM

4GB (2x2GB) Corsair DDR3 Vengeance Jet Black, PC3-12800 (1600), Non-ECC, CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.50V

Intel Core i5 2500K 3.3GHz Socket 1155 6MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Gigabyte GA-Z68P-DS3 Z68 Socket 1155 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard

Casecom KB-7760 Black ATX Midi Tower Case - No PSU, No Case Fans Included

Xilence Red Wing 80mm Quiet Fan - 3&4pin connection

Corsair 430W V2 CX Series PSU

bluetooth?

Thanks

sofaking said:
...I have sl 10.6.8 running on my brothers old macbook (coreduo) and windows 7 running on my dell studio laptop. Can I install my new build with lion rather than sl + lion update, is this viable? I can't burn dvds on my macbook but could set up a sl vm on my dell which can.

No! You didn't read the Rules as required before you clicked the Register button, did you?! faq.php
12. No Virtual Machine Installs on a non-OS X Host
Any discussion, mention or links will be deleted. Anyone who blatantly disregards this policy will be banned.
You will need the either the retail Apple Snow Leopard DVD (not the DVD that comes with a Mac) to install Snow Leopard on your new Hackintosh and update to 10.6.8, then update to Lion, or use another Mac to build the Lion USB drive as per the UniBeast Installation Guide to install Lion on your new Hackintosh.

sofaking said:
Will I need a microsoft keyboard for install? I suppose I will have to buy a wired mouse?
For installation, any USB KB/Mouse, yes. But, it doesn't have to be a Microsloft KB/mouse. But, get a good one because it obvious that the caps key is broken on the KB you used to post the above.

sofaking said:
Should the hd3000 graphics be recognized on the mobo dsdt straight away? Can't find too many hackintoshes with this mobo but it was on the recommended builds section.

The Gigabyte mobos with the Intel Integrated Graphics chipset are supported with the proper Intel i3/i5/i7 CPU. The i5-2500K you listed will work fine. Here's Gigabyte's Z68 mobo web site matrix to help you with your decision. Note: all the Z68XP mobos and the -xyH model boards support HD 3000.
http://www.gigabyte.com/microsite/279/images/mb-z68-models.html

The Z68P-DS3 will only have a HDMI out. So, make sure you have a monitor to support an HDMI connection or get a HDMI to DVI adapter cable if you monitor supports DVI connections. For a few $'s more, the mATX Z68MX-D2H mobo will give you HDMI, DVI and VGA. (Note: VGA is not usable in Mac OS X.) If you are going to OC, I'd recommend you get one of the -UD Z68 mobos as they are more "Durable" for OC'ing.

sofaking said:
Do I need better cooling? I could always upgrade it when i move the board in to my old g5 tower.
Yes, you will especially if you overclock which the Z68 mobo and i5-2500K CPU will allow. I recommend you look at the custom G5 case build descriptions in the Customization forum section to get some ideas. viewforum.php?f=76

Case width will eliminate some of the better air CPU coolers, and some air CPU coolers will interfere with finned RAM. I recommend this review for getting info about air CPU coolers: Overclocking On Air: 10 LGA 1156-Compatible Performance Coolers : Lynnfield Can Take The Heat, But Should It? These air CPU coolers will also work with the Sandy Bridge mobos and CPUs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back