Contribute
Register

[Complete] Original iMac G3 Mini at 38% powered by NUC

Getting closer... Bottom shell took 36 hours. It will need some tweaking, but hopefully I can salvage it instead of reprinting.

It feels big in the hand, but definitely smaller than the 39 pound original.
test_29-handy.jpg

I only have 1 rubber bumper on at this time, making sure everything else fits.
test_23-kickstand.jpg

Here are the kickstand results, it will need a little reworking. Mine on the left, vs original on the right.
test_24-kickstand.jpg

And the power receptacle (because I have the space to put the PSU internally:
test_25-powerplug.jpg

With a cord in it:
test_26-powerin.jpg

Once everything fits, then I can begin the sanding and polishing. I am opting to try and use a subset of the NUC/iMac G5 SMC Kit to control front power button and light, as well as the screen on and off, and of course startup chime. I won't need any fan controls.

Hardware is nearly finished, time to start looking at the software... Installed Catalina with OpenCore 0.85 just fine, so tried Ventura as well... OCLP and Intel Graphics are working as desired from a Broadwell processor. Next is trying to get the onboard Intel Wifi to work.

Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 1.53.22 PM.png

Will customize this later...
Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 11.37.50 AM.png

Surprise! The built in NUC CIR infrared receiver is recognized and works with an apple remote! Hint: Set the NUC bios CIR mode to RC-6. My bad, I had accidentally plugged in my USB IR receiver... still no love from the built in CIR.
Screenshot 2022-11-06 at 11.49.00 AM.png

Last edited:
Still printing to get the port cover to fit correctly.

Here is my Front Inner Frame: it holds the dual front USB, the power switch, the speakers, the headphone jack, and the microphone (in original location at the top of the screen).
test_32-FIF.jpg

I covered the power switch with aluminum duct tape to try to stop all the light bleeding, but I have to do a little more.
test_30-tinfoil.jpg

Not too bad... hopefully wrap this whole thing up soon!
test_31-powerlight.jpg

Love the red LED power button to match the strawberry case!. Which Intel WiFi card are you using?, I have an Intel 8265NGW dual band & BT working.

This NUC is an NUC5i5RYH i5-5250U, and the built-in card is a Intel® Wireless-AC 7265 + Bluetooth 4.2, but I have not gone in to Ventura to set it up yet (AirportItlwm or itlwm?).

This NUC is an NUC5i5RYH i5-5250U, and the built-in card is a Intel® Wireless-AC 7265 + Bluetooth 4.2, but I have not gone in to Ventura to set it up yet (AirportItlwm or itlwm?).
I'm using Airportitlwm.kext 2.2 it's in 'Alpha' and you can download it from the link below.

Last edited:
I have to solder in a replacement headphone jack, the one I had seems to have died... Once nearly assembled, I used my hot-air reflow workstation to do some creative heating and bending of parts that didn't quite line up. Maybe this weekend I can spend some time on the Wifi/Bluetooth.

IMG_0864z.jpg

IMG_0863z.jpg

IMG_0865z.jpg

STL files attached if you want to print your own!

Attachments

• STL publish.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 43
Back