Graphics
AMD 7850
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Doing a new build... never had a hackintosh but do own a 2011 MBP and a 2010 iMac.

Currently, I have the following hardware:

Asus P8Z68V-PRO
Intel i2600K
EVGA nVidia 560Ti
4 x 4GB Mushkin Black RAM (16GB Total)
2 x Samsung WriteMaster DVD-RWs
1 x OWC Mercury Extreme 128 SSD (for Windows)
1 x Crucial m4 64GB SSD for OSX
multiple vendors HDDs for storage

My technical skills are about a medium...

Here are my questions:

1. I can get a GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 or a GA-Z68XP-UD4, would this be recommended?
2. I've spent a few hours on research b/w tonymacx86 and insanelymac forums, I still have no idea of the steps to get the Asus P8Z68V-PRO board to work, if it does work, and does it work with Lion.
3. I've seen several DSDTs for the Asus P8Z68 VPRO posted on insanelymac as well as these forums, but I have yet to see any "official" DSDTs posted to tony's website? Any reason why?
4. Most importantly, whether it's Snow Leopard or Lion, will I be able to run Hackintosh with my setup? I prefer Asus boards, but can switch to the Gigabyte if I need to.
5. Looking for ease of setup + stability, and the use of USB 3.0.

Any advice, links, or guides would be sincerely be helpful. I'm probably about 2 weeks out from my build but would like to know what I'm doing before I start.

Also, since I'm going to use two separate SSDs (one for Windows / one for OSX), does it matter which OS I install first? and how do I dual boot?

Thanks in advance everyone:

1. Easiest is to go with a board that someone has it working, or the preferred by checking the customac build in the blog.

2. I'm using P8Z68-V Pro for my build and I'm happy with it. It runs Lion but not 100% as I wanted to, sleep doesn't work for me but some others have it working, so YMMV.

3. No DSDT needed for this board, few extensions to get audio and network working. USB3 ports do not work on Hackintosh, I couldn't get mic in to work either. For speedstep, I patched my BIOS.

4. SL and Lion should work just fine on this board.

5. If you're still need USB 3.0, then go for Gigabyte boards.

Damn .. and I thought it still in September when we're nearing December now.. nobody was replying for the one good month and here I'm .. :oops:

Gigabyte board is the way to go! :headbang:

Folks here are reporting good level of success with this board.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22928&hilit=P8Z68&start=10

I have a P8Z68V-LE for a month now, and slowly configuring all OSX stuff. It works, got a DSDT using DSDT Editor and patches for the specific components on the board.

Slowly working to get everything working on - but my goal was to get something that would allow some level of functionality, work DSDT free reasonably well, while allowing me to explore some of the internals of OSX.

revman said:
Folks here are reporting good level of success with this board.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22928&hilit=P8Z68&start=10

I have a P8Z68V-LE for a month now, and slowly configuring all OSX stuff. It works, got a DSDT using DSDT Editor and patches for the specific components on the board.

Slowly working to get everything working on - but my goal was to get something that would allow some level of functionality, work DSDT free reasonably well, while allowing me to explore some of the internals of OSX.

Hi,
I'm planing to buy P8Z68V-LE next week with a i5 2400.
Can you tell me what all you got working and how?

I went for the Asus p8Z68-V LE board with i5 2500K. Got it yesterday

I have installed lion 10.7.3

Can boot with:
easyBeast
PCIRootUID=1
USB Keyboard and mouse (can enable PS2 in multibeast, but sometimes gets stuck with VoodoPS2Synaptic thingy. will have to see after removing that since i have a desktop)

Got network from the AppleRealtek..... in multibeast and not on Lin2Mac's

Haven't yet got audio or graphics to work.
I have an Asus N210 Silent 1GB DDR3 graphics card (any help?)
Using HD3000 onboard gives similar results. when i add any kexts for the graphics, it gets stuck at USBSMC or something
selecting non-DSDT audio with 892 and voodoHDA causes KP.

I have reinstalled around 5 times already. how do i create a backup of the current working copy. I have a small HDD and 2 8GB USB pendrives (one has UniBeast)

I got it working

Here are the steps I followed:
This is for ASUS P8Z68-V LE board

After install with UniBeast and boot using the same,
Open MultiBeast
Select:
OSx86 Software

This will give us Kext Utility to install Audio kexts

Open MultiBeast again

Select :
UserDSDT install (dont put any DSDT in your desktop. We just need the other things that get installed)
Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Audio -> Realtek ALC8xx -> Non-DSDT HDA Enabler -> ALC892
Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Miscellaneous->NullCPUPowerManagement
Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Network->Realtek Gigabit Ethernet 2.0.6

Don't restart yet

I know using UserDSDT install without any DSDT seems kind of stupid, but it worked. I'm almost sure that you can get the same with selecting the kexts in that selection manually, but if you can do it just in 1 click, why not go for it.

Now for Audio
I used the new kext from Toleda :

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.in/2012/01/n ... board.html

(The post also has one for ALC889, but in that case i think you should select ALC889 instead of ALC892 HDA Enabler. but I have 892, so I'll go with that)

Download and extract to get the kext (which has name AppleHDA.kext)
Its still in beta (892Beta_Lion_AppleHDA_v2.1.3-2)
Install the kext with KextUtility.
Reboot.

And you have Audio, network, and if your graphics card is supported OOB by lion (mine was : GeForce 210 1GB DDR3)

Now if you want PS2, Follow these steps, but brace yourself for a kernel panic.
Reboot after getting everything else working
Open MultiBeast again
Now select:
Drivers & Bootloaders -> Kexts & Enablers -> Miscellaneous-> PS2 keyboard mice .....

and after the install you will get (I got) a KP, but don't worry. Press reset button and boot into Lion normally (if it doesn't work, boot with -v -f, but it wont boot completely, after the 'Still waiting for root device' kind of message, press reset and boot normally)

Now you have everything except Sleep and USB3 ( i haven't yet tested SATA 6GBPS, so dont know about that)

One thing I noticed is that I cant get it to boot if I select -f in chimera (ignore kext chache, right?)
Then it seems that it cant get the disk correctly. the message is something like
Still waiting for root device

and it goes on. AHCI is enabled (I suppose otherwise it wont boot without the -f, right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back