Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
Core i7-9770K
Graphics
NVidia GTX-650
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello,

I recently installed Mac OS 10.9 on a system with an ASUS H87M-Pro Motherboard with an Haswell-based Core i7.

While the installation of Mac OS 10.9 using a created installer stick was no problem and the system can still be booted using the bootloader on the stick, I haven't found a solution yet to boot up the system directly from the hard disk.

I tried out to install various versions of Chimera and Chameleon and the behavior is allways the same: When I try to legacy boot the harddrive, the text mode cursor hops a few times to various screen locations, a few seconds later, the system starts the next boot entry in the EFI boot device list (in this case grub-efi of a linux installation on the same system). Any "boot 0" textmode messages also do not appear.

I also recreated the master boot records a few times and ran gptsync on linux before the chameleon installation but this makes no difference. Writing boot1h using the dd command to the mac os partition also makes no difference.

Another strange thing: In the BIOS setup, there is an option to handle several usb memory as hard disk. If turned on, the same problem happens to the installation USB media.

So, I think the BIOS rejects the chameleon/chimera boot loaders for any reason. But I found nothing in the BIOS set up that changes this. All other systems on the same disk (Ubuntu 13.10 and Windows 8.1) are installed in EFI mode.

Alternatively, I tried to boot Mac OS X using Clover. Clover shows the graphical menu but booting the Mac Volume fails even before the kernel will be loaded.

Has anybody an idea?

Hello,

I recently installed Mac OS 10.9 on a system with an ASUS H87M-Pro Motherboard with an Haswell-based Core i7.

While the installation of Mac OS 10.9 using a created installer stick was no problem and the system can still be booted using the bootloader on the stick, I haven't found a solution yet to boot up the system directly from the hard disk.

I tried out to install various versions of Chimera and Chameleon and the behavior is allways the same: When I try to legacy boot the harddrive, the text mode cursor hops a few times to various screen locations, a few seconds later, the system starts the next boot entry in the EFI boot device list (in this case grub-efi of a linux installation on the same system). Any "boot 0" textmode messages also do not appear.

I also recreated the master boot records a few times and ran gptsync on linux before the chameleon installation but this makes no difference. Writing boot1h using the dd command to the mac os partition also makes no difference.

Another strange thing: In the BIOS setup, there is an option to handle several usb memory as hard disk. If turned on, the same problem happens to the installation USB media.

So, I think the BIOS rejects the chameleon/chimera boot loaders for any reason. But I found nothing in the BIOS set up that changes this. All other systems on the same disk (Ubuntu 13.10 and Windows 8.1) are installed in EFI mode.

Alternatively, I tried to boot Mac OS X using Clover. Clover shows the graphical menu but booting the Mac Volume fails even before the kernel will be loaded.

Has anybody an idea?

Asus series 8 mainboards will not boot in Legacy mode, thus Chimera installed normally will not work. A solution was found, however. See http://www.tonymacx86.com/401-install-bootloader-extra-efi-partition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back