Contribute
Register

Chimera 1.9 can't boot Windows 7 - BOOTMGR is missing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its because the Boot information for Windows 7 in GUID partition is inside the BIOS, this is why the Bios can list it as a Boot device.

Creating a GUID partition for Windows 7 there is no way round it making the EFI and MSR partitions unlike MBR, which i was describing when i said the System Reserved is within the Win 7 partition.

You need to do some more research on how Windows 7 on GUID works with UEFI. Its bit more complicated than "chimera can boot GUID OSX, why not GUID Windows 7?".

I think you are over exaggerating the difference between MBR and GUID, unless you need more than 4 partitions and have a HDD greater than 2Tb there is no point in messing about with UEFI GUID Windows 7. Once you setup your partitioning scheme what more do you want, its not something you change every day, just use GParted to make a proper MBR scheme and be done with it.

Again its no "System Reserved" (200MB, MBR) its "Microsoft System Reserved" (128MB, GUID), there is a difference.

The Microsoft Reserved Partition, or MSR, is a partition on a data storage device. The containing storage device has to use the new GUID Partition Table (GPT) format, not the traditional master boot record (MBR) partition table format. Microsoft Reserved Partition is used to reserve space ahead of time for other use, and it does not contain any meaningful data itself.

So you can try booting MSR all day, its not going to work.

If there is a way to get this to work, you need Chimera to see the EFI partition and then try to boot that because the boot info is also stored here.

In lion, go to terminal and type
Code:
diskutil list

and paste your output here

I've had this problem numerous times, and have luckily found a solution. Try marking your Windows 7 partition active, in diskpart:
Code:
diskpart
list disk
select disk [your Win7 disk]
list partition
select partition [your Win7 partition]
active
Then run startup recovery up to three times from your recovery partition or a Windows 7 recovery/installation disk, until Windows boots. Then rBoot into OS X, or use your UniBeast USB, and re-install Chamelon/Chimera.
EDIT: I never used a recovery partition myself, so that might be a problem. Try again with your System reserved if this doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back