Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
  2. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
full.png

I don't usually recommend messing about with system files and images, but here's an easy and safe tweak for Lion. You know that grey fabric background of Mission Control and Dashboard? You can change them to whatever you like!
bkgd.png

The image file is inside /System/Library/CoreServices/Dock.app, at /Contents/Resources/defaultdesktop.png. It is 256x256 pixels, and displays in tiled format. This gives the illusion of being one big image, while maintaining a small file size. If you edit this image, you're pretty much limited to colors and textures.

However, if you rename this image to defaultdesktop-old.png, or delete it, the Mission Control background becomes the system standard wallpaper.

[

The Andromeda Galaxy wallpaper location is /System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg. So, in order to make a full Mission Control background replacement, place your custom wallpaper in this location.

1. Open Finder
2. Navigate to /System/Library/CoreServices/DefaultDesktop.jpg
3. Rename file DefaultDesktop-old.jpg
4. Place any suitable wallpaper .jpg image in /System/Library/CoreServices/
5. Rename file DefaultDesktop.jpg
6. Log Out, then Log In

The Dashboard wallpaper- is in the same location, but it's a much smaller file called pirelli.jpg. If you rename it in the same way, the default wallpaper is used for the background.

Last edited by a moderator:
thnx man finally I can change the boring background of Mission Control Background and Dashboard

I wanted to add to this. you can also change the notification center background in ML to match, say, the mission control background.

/System/Library/CoreServices/NotificationCenter.app command click NotificationCenter.app, show package contents. Then replace the linen.tiff image with the image used for mission control. simple enough? adds a little aesthetic continuity. ;)

Thanks for the guide, Mission Control looks much better now with a custom background. Just a shame the Dock can't be skinned in Mountain Lion anymore

Article: Change the Mission Control Background and Dashboard Background in Mac OS X

yeah nice dude :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back